Today I’m bringing you my Gluten Free Chocolate Chip pancakes. I had never used gluten free flour before so spent the weekend experimenting after picking up a bag at the weekend. My soda bread experiment turned into something more akin to a concrete frisbee, edible straight out of the oven but not a few hours later! So after reading up on gluten free flour, I gathered that they are all made differently (mine contained rice, potato and maize flour) and as they lack the elasticity of gluten, that needs to be replaced on the whole. So I decided that fluffy pancakes where the whisked egg white forms a frame for the flour would probably be a safer bet and I wasn’t wrong!
My first attempt involved using shop bought chocolate chips which I tried adding to the pancakes once they were in the pan. However I didn’t like the result as once flipped the chocolate just sat spread eagle on the outer surface in unsightly blobs. The I tried adding the chocolate chips to the batter but they all sank to the bottom which made them more difficult to distribute. However these ones tasted better as the chocolate was in the pancake and not stuck to it so had a pleasing melt in the middle effect and my kids also gave these ones their seal of approval. So the following day I decided that chopping up my own chocolate would probably solve the problem and it did, the chocolate stayed evenly distributed in the batter. I also decided to top them with some banana slices, more chopped chocolate and squeeze of golden syrup to extra decadence!
The great thing about these Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Pancakes is that you can reheat them for later if need be. I did this and we had the pancakes for dessert along with some ice cream. My family absolutely loved these pancakes, there were big grins all round. I think the gooey warm chocolate centre was the key to their yumminess! The fact that they were gluten free didn’t make any difference to the enjoyment but if you aren’t coeliac then you could just make these pancakes with your usual plain wheat flour.
So with Shrove Tuesday or Pancake Day as it’s also called, just around the corner I do hope you try my Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Pancakes and give you family a luscious treat. They should probably carry a health warning as I think they are highly addictive and I can’t wait to make them again and I know my family can’t wait to eat them again!
Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Pancakes
- 100 g plain gluten free flour I used Aldi’s or plain flour (if not coeliac)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp caster sugar I keep a vanilla pod in my jar to infuse
- 1 egg separated
- 150 mls semi-skimmed milk or your usual milk
- 25 g butter
- 50 g dark chocolate chopped into chips
- extra dark chocolate chopped into chips
- banana slices
- golden syrup
- Sift the flour, baking powder, caster sugar into a large bowl.
- Make a well in the centre and with a wooden spoon, quickly stir in the egg yolk, milk and melted butter.
- Whisk the egg white until forms stiff peaks and fold into the mixture.
- Then fold in the chocolate chips.
- Next, lightly grease and heat a griddle pan (or large frying pan) over a medium heat.
- The pan is the right temperature when a drop of water splutters on it.
- Use an ice cream scoop (or a jug) to pour equal measures of batter onto the pan (there should be room for 4 pancakes).
- Once the pancakes start to form bubbles on top and look slightly dry turn over and cook on the other side until golden.
- Once all the pancakes are cooked, makes stacks (3 is a serving) and decorate with banana slices, more chocolate chips and golden syrup. You can also make ahead and reheat on a plate covered in foil over a pan of simmering water or in the microwave.
- Makes 12 to 13 pancakes.
Here are some more gluten free recipe ideas you might like:
Pea Protein Pancakes with Matcha & Spicy Peanut Sauce – Tin & Thyme
Vegan Chickpea Flour Pancake – Planet Veggie
Coconut Pancakes with Pecans & Almonds – Rough Measures
Easy Gluten Free Coconut Flour Pancakes – Emily’s Recipes & Reviews
Gluten Free Coconut & Raspberry Pancakes – How to Cook Good Food
4 Ingredient Flourless Pancakes – Family Friends Food
3 Ingredient Banana Nutella Pancakes – Fab Food 4 All
Gluten Free Banana Bread Pancakes – Celery & Cupcakes
Golden Apple Pie Pancakes with Salted Caramel Sauce – Food to Glow
I am entering these Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Pancakes into We Should Cocoa over at Tin & Thyme.
Why not pin for later?