This mushroom soup is so quick and simple to make yet utterly delicious. The butter makes it creamy and together with the garlic it’s a marriage made in culinary heaven! Plus my husband and kids love this soup so it’s all good.
PS: Have updated the photos as we have this so often and my photography has moved on since I started this blog!
- 300 g / 12oz Mushrooms roughly chopped
- 50 g / 2oz Butter
- 1 Large onion finely chopped
- 2 Cloves garlic crushed
- 25 g / 1oz flour
- 400 ml / ¾ pt milk
- 400 ml / ¾ pt chicken or vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper
- A few chives snipped to garnish (optional)
- Melt the butter in a pan.
- Add the onion and garlic and sweat under a lid gently on a low heat until softened, stirring occasionally (about 10 mins).
- Add the mushrooms to the pan and cook gently for 5 minutes.
- Add the flour and stir for 1 minute.
- Stir in the stock, milk and seasoning.
- Liquidise and adjust seasoning if necessary, bring back to serving temperature.
- Serve garnished with snipped chives (optional).
I find a stainless steel hand blender invaluable for soup making as there is no need to wait for the soup to cool down and it negates the need to transfer it to a liquidiser.