Rhubarb, Lemon and Vanilla Jam
Today I’m sharing a recipe for Rhubarb, Lemon and Vanilla Jam. I am really getting into jam making this year and have discovered that you don’t need preserving sugar as long as you use lemon juice for fruits not high in pectin. The addition of the lemon rind to the pan is also helpful and adds a bit more lemon flavour.
I also learned since my Strawberry Jam making last year that you don’t use a wax disc if you’re using a screw top lid which I had fretted about last year and needn’t have. According to the WI you only use a wax disc with a cellophane lid otherwise you prevent the vacuum forming under a screw top lid. I searched around for recipes and this is a culmination of all my findings and the combination of Rhubarb, Vanilla and Lemon compliment each other really well.
I gave a pot of Rhubarb, Lemon and Vanilla Jam to my dad on Fathers Day and he loved it as did my husband and son. My daughter has yet to acquire a taste for rhubarb!
As this jam was made with some bargain rhubarb packs I found for 69p for 600g I am entering it into Credit Crunch Munch which is run by myself and Helen of Fuss Free Flavours and this month hosted by Anneli of Delicioux. I am also entering this into Javelin Warrior’s Cookin w/luv Made with Love Mondays challenge as it is made from scratch.
I am also entering Calendar Bakes where the them is preserves this month which is hosted this month by Rachel at Dolly Bakes and run with Laura of Laura Loves Cakes. Anneli is hosting a Four Seasons Food Challenge in partnership with Louisa of Chez Foti where the theme is Picnics and Outdoor Nibbles. I’m entering Ren Behan’s Simple and in Season challenge as rhubarb is in season. Finally I am also entering the Breakfast Club event which is run by Helen and hosted this month by Elizabeth at Elizabeth’s Kitchen. where the theme is High Fibre and rhubarb is just that!
So how do you make Rhubarb, Lemon and Vanilla Jam?
Here’s a step-by-step guide, it really is so easy:
Once you’ve made my Rhubarb, Lemon and Vanilla Jam you might like to make my other rhubarb jam recipes too:
Rhubarb, Lemon & Vanilla Jam
- 900 g Rhubarb chopped into 2cm pieces
- Juice & zest of a lemon + keep 1/2 skin wrap & keep in fridge over night
- 900 g Granulated sugar from which remove 2 tblsp
- 2 tbsp Vanilla sugar
- 1 Vanilla pod split
- 10 g Butter
- Place the rhubarb in a glass bowl along with the sugars, lemon rind and lemon juice.
- The next day place 4 saucers into your freezer.
- Then place fruit mixture into a large heavy based pan and add the half lemon skin plus the split vanilla pod.
- Heat gently to dissolve all the sugar crystals.
- Then bring the pan to a rolling boil and time for 8 minutes.
- Put a dot of jam on a cold saucer and and wait for a couple of minutes.
- If the jam is ready it will wrinkle slightly when a finger is pushed through it and will also not run on the plate.
- If the jam is not ready keep boiling for another 3 minutes at a time and doing the plate test until it is.
- Next remove the scum by stirring the butter through the jam.
- Finally use a jam funnel or small fruit ladle to fill your warm jars.
- This recipe should be enough for 3 standard sized jam jars but I like to prepare a selection and pick the best as I go along.
I like to sterilise my jars and lids by running them through my dish washer, then placing them in the oven for 20 minutes at 140°C on a large baking tray. I then leave the jars in the switched off oven ready for potting up.