A delicious, comforting Rhubarb Pudding with a hint of vanilla, great served with custard or vanilla ice cream.
Rhubarb Pudding has been on my blog for many years so I decided to update the recipe and photography as so many people have been searching for it.
We’re well and truly in rhubarb season (April – June) and I find myself buying rhubarb like some rhubarb addict! I honestly can’t get enough of the stuff so am making hay whilst the sun shines.
This Rhubarb Pudding is based on a recipe from an old (1981) St Michael, 1000 Recipe Cook Book which I have adapted and added vanilla sugar to for an extra yummy flavour. Truly comforting this pudding really hits the spot and is fabulous served with custard (my favourite) or vanilla ice cream.
So simple to make, you start off as if you’re making a Crumble. Butter or margarine is rubbed into flour, sugars and rhubarb added and then milk is beaten in to form a thick batter.
This Rhubarb Pudding will serve 4 greedy people of 6 not so greedy people.
Can you reheat Rhubarb Pudding?
Yes, you can easily pop a portion into the microwave and even add cold custard and heat for 1 ½ to 2 minutes depending you’re your microwaves wattage.
More Rhubarb Recipes
For more rhubarb recipe inspiration you might like the following recipes from Fab Food 4 All:
- Rhubarb & Blueberry Tarte Tatin
- Rhubarb & Strawberry Grunt
- Rhubarb Compote with Vanilla Greek Yogurt & Meringue
- Rhubarb & Ginger Cake
- Rhubarb & Marzipan Cake
- Rhubarb & Ginger Jam
More Rhubarb Desserts
I asked fellow food bloggers for their best rhubarb recipes and here are their suggestions:
- Classic Rhubarb Crumble
- Rhubarb & Ginger Brioche Bread & Butter Pudding
- Rhubarb Galette
- Champagne Syllabub with Orange Rhubarb Compote
- Oven-baked Rhubarb & Strawberry Risotto
- Rhubarb Cheesecake
I thoroughly recommend that you try this Rhubarb Pudding as I’m sure you and your family will love it! Do let me know if you make it and tag me on social media, I’d love to see your creations!
Pin for later!
- 115 g / 4oz self-raising flour
- 1 pinch of salt
- 55 g / 2oz butter or margarine cut into pieces
- 2 tsp vanilla sugar
- 115 g / 4oz granulated sugar
- 450 g / 1lb young rhubarb cut into 2 cm / 3/4 inch pieces
- 140 ml / 1/4 pint milk
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C.
- Sift the flour and salt into a mixing bowl.
- Add the butter/margarine and rub into the flour with fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the sugar, vanilla sugar and rhubarb.
- Then beat in the milk to make a thick batter.
- Turn into a buttered 1 litre (1 ¾ pt) baking dish and bake for 40 minutes until golden.
- Serve at once with a dusting of castor sugar along with custard or vanilla ice cream.