Rhubarb and Strawberry Grunt, a wonderful pudding using 2 summer fruits that nestle under a scone topping. Great with ice cream or custard!
Britain is awash with strawberries and rhubarb and there’s no better past time than picking your own strawberries at this time of year. Well in theory at least, if we could find a dry day when we weren’t either being buffeted by wind or being flooded!
I thought that these two fruits would be ideal bedfellows for this recipe as they complement each other not only in colour but also flavour.
I found “Yorkshire Rhubarb Grunt” in book called “All you want to know about… FRUIT” by Mark Blaycock and adapted the recipe.
The fruits stew under a scone topping with butter and sugar to form a delicious caramel sauce. The original recipe uses natural yogurt so feel free to use what you prefer.
Serve with custard, cream or ice cream and enjoy the taste of summer in a pud!
Pop the chopped rhubarb and whole strawberries into a shallow dish or 4 small ones. (Don’t they look pretty).
Next you sprinkle on the sugar and dot evenly with the butter. Nearly there now.
Mix the rest of the ingredients together and distribute clumps evenly over the fruit and pop into the preheated oven.
Now you just need to decide on custard, cream or ice cream!
Confession time: I actually didn’t have enough yogurt so topped up with a little milk – wouldn’t ordinarily recommend doing this but it still tasted fab but probably affected the look a little – it should have had a smoother top to it!
So what are your favourite tastes of summer where you live? Plus what other fruits do you think could work with this recipe? Don’t be a stranger, stop by and leave a comment, I love reading and replying to them!
More Rhubarb and Strawberry Dessert Recipes
- White Chocolate & Strawberry Mousse
- Strawberry & Vanilla Ice Milk
- Strawberry Choux Buns
- Easy Strawberries & Cream Dessert
- Rhubarb Pudding
- Rhubarb & Blueberry Tarte Tatin
- Rhubarb Compote with Vanilla Greek Yogurt & Meringue
- Rhubarb & Ginger Crumble
I’m sure you’ll love this simple rhubarb and strawberry pudding so do leave a comment and rating below when you make it! You can even share a picture with me by tagging @FabFood4All on social media!
Rhubarb and Strawberry Grunt
- 400 g / 15oz Rhubarb cut into 2-3cm pieces
- 250 g / 9oz Strawberries
- 190 g / 7 oz Castor sugar
- 50 g / 2 oz Unsalted butter cut into small pieces
- 150 g / 5 ½ oz Plain flour
- 3 tablespoon Castor sugar
- ½ teaspooon Salt
- 250 ml / 5 fl oz Fat free Greek yogurt
- Preheat the oven to 190°C.
- Grease four individual shallow ovenproof dishes or one 20 x 30cm shallow ovenproof dish.
- Spread the rhubarb and strawberries in the bottom of the dish.
- Then sprinkle with the sugar and dot with the butter.
- Put the flour, sugar and salt into a mixing bowl and gradually stir in the yogurt to make a sticky dough.
- Spread small clumps of the dough evenly across the fruit – no need for precision as it will spread on cooking.
- Bake for 35 minutes and serve warm with custard, cream or ice cream.