It’s rhubarb season and after making the recipes that I posted last year and a failed attempt to make a crumble with cinnamon which got rather drowned in the stuff I decided it was time to strip everything right back. Step up Rhubarb Compote with Vanilla Greek Yogurt & Meringue!
Hubby and I love rhubarb and I think sometimes the subtleties of it can get drowned in a heavy pudding. With this in mind I decided to poach the rhubarb with some orange juice and a little sugar and then serve it with some vanilla sweetened Greek yogurt and meringue. The sharpness of the rhubarb, the freshness of the yogurt and the sweet gooeyness of the meringue work really well together here – hubby said it was really nice!
The rhubarb is enough for 6 portions but as neither of my kids like rhubarb we ate this over 3 nights and on the last night just had the compote with semolina which was really nice too and I’m not big on semolina! In the past we’ve also had this compote with custard which is the classic combo of course and one of my favourites too.
More Rhubarb Dessert Recipes
- Rhubarb Pudding
- Rhubarb & Blueberry Tarte Tatin
- Rhubarb & Blackberry Spiral Cobbler
- Rhubarb & Strawberry Grunt
I am entering this dish into Credit Crunch Munch as I bought my rhubarb for half price as it is in season and abundant at the moment, used Greek style yogurt to save money plus I used up some meringue nests which had been in the cupboard for a while. This challenge is run by myself and Helen at Fuss Free Flavours and being hosted by Janice over at Farmersgirl Kitchen this month. I am also entering Ren Behan’s Simple and in Season challenge as Rhubarb are very much in season:-)
I’m sure you’ll love this Rhubarb Compote with Vanilla Greek Yogurt & Meringue so do leave a comment and rating below when you try it. Better still share a pic by tagging @FabFood4All on social media!
Rhubarb Compote with Vanilla Greek Yogurt & Meringue
- 400 g Rhubarb chopped into 3cm pieces
- 60 g Granulated sugar
- Juice of ½ freshly squeezed orange
- 1 tbsp Water
- 6 tbsp Low fat Greek yogurt or Greek style
- Vanilla sugar to taste
- 6 Meringue nests
- Put the chopped rhubarb, sugar, orange juice and water into a pan and simmer covered for 8 – 10 minutes until tender.
- Transfer to a bowl to cool down slightly.
- Sprinkle a little vanilla sugar onto the Greek yogurt and stir well, taste and adjust as required.
- Place a tbsp of the sweetened Greek yogurt onto each meringue nest and then spoon on the warm rhubarb compote. Can also be served cold.