Simple Ratatouille is so delicious and versatile! Serve as a side dish or as a main meal along with pasta and Parmesan cheese!
Today I’m sharing my traditional and classic style Simple Ratatouille which I make all the time!
I went to the market the other day and there were so many cheap offers that I came home with armfuls of vegetables for a pittance. Nine bell peppers cost me only £1 as did 3 aubergines and 2 giant courgettes.
Therefore, I simply had to make Ratatouille which my children have had a fascination with ever since the film with the same title.
I didn’t have a mouse help making mine though. Our cat is very good at fending them off!
What do you serve Simple Ratatouille with?
Ratatouille is a traditional French side dish which is great with chicken, steak etc. You can also serve it with rice, cauliflower rice or any grain of your choice.
Our preferred way to serve it however is with pasta (spaghetti or twists) with plenty of grated Parmesan or Cheddar cheese!
Can you make Ratatouille in advance?
If you can make ratatouille in advance it tastes even better like a lot of things. The flavours seem to mature like a fine wine, so that when we have the leftovers they were even better than the first time around.
How long will Ratatouille keep?
It will keep well in the fridge for 2 – 3 days.
Can you freeze it?
Yes you can freeze ratatouille, just thaw overnight in the fridge. You could also thaw and reheat in the microwave.
More vegetable based recipes and side dishes
Here are some more vegetable based mains and side dishes from myself and other food bloggers:
- Mediterranean Roasted Vegetables with Couscous
- Speedy Mediterranean Vegetable Couscous
- Vegetable Dhal Curry
- Crispy Coated Roast Potatoes
- Pea Puree with Garlic
- Spring Greens with Lemon & Mustard Dressing
I’m sure you’ll love my Simple Ratatouille so do leave a comment and rating below when you try it. You can also share a picture of your ratatouille by tagging @FabFood4All on social media!
Pin Simple Ratatouille for later!
- 45 ml / 3tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Large onion chopped
- 3 Cloves garlic crushed
- 1 Red pepper deseeded and diced
- 1 Green pepper deseeded and diced
- 1 Orange or yellow pepper deseeded and diced
- 2 Medium aubergine diced
- 1 Large courgette
- 400 g Can chopped tomatoes
- 30 ml / 2tbsp Tomato puree
- 1 tsp Mixed herbs
- 60 ml / 4tbsp Water
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Parmesan cheese or vegan hard cheese optional
- Heat 2tbsp oil in a large pan and soften the onion and garlic for about 7-10 mins.
- Add 1tbsp oil, the peppers, aubergine and courgette and fry stirring continuously for about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato puree, herbs, seasoning and water.
- Cover and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Serve with freshly grated Parmesan cheese or vegan hard cheese (optional).