This recipe is adapted from my 1993 edition of Simply Delicious (Colour Library Books). It is the best Spaghetti Bolognese recipe I have ever tasted as it has a subtle sweetness from both the carrots and the sherry and a very deep tomato flavour. My children absolutely love this dish and for a special treat I serve it with some garlic bread as well as a hearty mixed salad. This dish is ideal for doubling up and freezing half for another time.
As this recipe is so simple I have dispensed with the usual pan shots! (Phew, I hear you cry).
Simply Delicious Spaghetti Bolognese
- 300 g / 10oz Spaghetti
- 30 g / 1oz Butter
- 15 ml / 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 Onions peeled and chopped finely
- 450 g / 1lb Minced beef
- 1 Carrot peeled and chopped finely
- 115 g / 4 oz Can tomato purée
- 400 g / 14 oz Tin chopped tomatoes
- 300 ml / ½ pt Beef stock
- 30 ml / 2 tbsp Sherry
- Salt and pepper
- Parmesan cheese grated
- Heat the butter and oil in a pan and sweat the onions and carrot until soft (about 10 minutes).
- Increase the heat and add the minced beef.
- Fry for a few minutes, then stir, cooking until meat is browned all over.
- Add the tomato purée, tinned tomatoes, salt and pepper to taste, and the stock.
- Simmer gently for about ¾ hr, until the mixture thickens, stirring occasionally.
- Add 2 tbsp sherry and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the spaghetti in lots of boiling salted water and cook according to their instructions.
- Serve with Bolognese sauce on top and sprinkle with freshly grated parmesan cheese.