A while ago I bought some Lotus Biscuit Spread which on the continent is known as Speculoos. I’d seen much hype about this product on twitter so my curiosity got the better of me and I bought some. We’re big fans of Lotus Biscuits in this house. I have many fond memories of trips to the hairdresser with my mum as a child and whilst she was sat under one of those huge driers with a head full of curlers I would be enjoying an individually wrapped Lotus biscuit as she sipped her Rombouts. Anyway, as Ronnie Corbett would say “I digress”, so it came to pass that the Speculoos after an initial flurry of interest just sat there in the cupboard unused. It was just a bit too sickly sweet to eat on its own as a spread we found. Not wanting to waste my Speculoos I got thinking and decided that incorporating it into a Brownie with some banana would be a good way of using some up.
This recipe isn’t based on one recipe but a conglomeration of several and my own experimentation. The result was delicious but if you’re wanting a predominantly Speculoos flavour then this is not the recipe for you. The longer you can wait to eat your Brownies the better as this really allows the flavours and texture to mature and improve. They keep really well in a air tight container for several days.
As this recipe used value chocolate, a ripe banana and the Speculoos from my cupboard I am entering it into this month’s Credit Crunch Munch which is run by myself and Helen at Fuss Free Flavours and being hosted by Anneli at Delicieux this month.
Here’s a quick step-by-step overview!
Specunana Chocolate Brownies
- 125 g Butter
- 100 g Dark chocolate broken up
- 50 g Speculoos sold as Lotus Biscuit Spread alternatively use Nutella
- 1 Egg large
- 100 g Light brown Muscovado Sugar
- 1 Medium sized ripe banana 130g mashed
- ½ tsp Vanilla extract
- 90 g Plain flour
- 25 g Cocoa
- 50 g White chocolate chopped into small chunks
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Grease and line a 20cm shallow square cake tin with baking parchment.
- In a saucepan melt the butter and off the heat add the dark chocolate and melt.
- Then whisk in the Speculoos (Lotus Biscuit Spread).
- In a bowl, beat the egg and add the sugar, mashed banana, cocoa and vanilla extract.
- Stir in the melted chocolate mixture.
- Add the white chocolate chunks.
- Sift in the flour and fold in.
- Spread the mixture into the prepared tin.
- Bake on the middle oven shelf for 20 – 23 minutes. The Brownies are ready when they form a crust, are coming away from the edges and don’t wobble in the middle when tin is shaken. Do not over bake or they will become cakey.
- Allow to cool on a wire rack in the tin and mark out into 16 slices.
- Dust with icing sugar to serve, also great with ice cream as a pudding.