Last night I baked these Creme Egg Chocolate Brownies with some odds and ends of chocolate, a creme egg and a pack of mini creme eggs for my daughter’s school cake bake. I hadn’t really intended to bake anything as I’d heard my hubby and daughter discussing the fact that they would bake something together so I put it out of my mind. Then we remembered that my daughter was going to tea with a friend so there wouldn’t be time for her to bake. This then led to hubby googling over the top cupcakes with lashings of piped buttercream. My mind was filled with horror as I could imagine the state of the kitchen with bowls, tins and a messy piping bag left for me to clear up – plus I wasn’t keen on my entire butter reserve being depleted.
Hence I got my thinking cap on and remembered that my daughter and I had bought some Cadbury’s creme eggs the day before and after toying with the idea of cupcakes I decided that Brownies were the way forward. For an extra touch of awesomeness I decided to melt the large creme egg into the mixture for that extra bit of gooey, chewiness. The mini creme eggs were split and used to decorate the top. Well I don’t think there are enough words to describe quite how delectable these brownies were, did I mention the milk chocolate chunks? Suffice to say no-one here actually wanted to let the brownies leave the house after sampling. Indeed my daughter left the cake tin behind this morning – an accident she said! I duly took the brownies into school at pick-up time and watched the squares of deliciousness being snapped up at the bake sale. As my son had said he would like to come with me to the bake sale to buy back the cakes I did buy back the last 2 slices – well it was a win/win situation wasn’t it!
It’s half term next week so I’ve promised to make some more brownies, why don’t you make some too or even better get the kids to help! You won’t be disappointed but maybe avoid if you’re on a diet, as health food they aint!
Creme Egg Chocolate Brownies
- 50 g Plain Chocolate broken up
- 1 Creme Egg broken
- 115 g Unsalted butter
- 2 Large eggs beaten
- 190 g Dark brown Muscovado sugar
- 115 g Self raising flour
- 25 g Cocoa powder
- 100 g Milk chocolate chopped into small chunks
- 1 Pack Mini Crème Eggs 8 in total, halved (a knife dipped in hot water helps)
- Icing sugar for dusting
- Pre-heat oven to 180⁰C.
- Grease and line a 20cm square cake tin.
- Sieve flour and cocoa powder together into a bowl.
- Put butter, plain chocolate and creme egg into a bowl over barely simmering water (don’t let the water touch) and melt together, stirring to mix.
- Allow the mixture to cool for a few minutes.
- Stir in beaten eggs, Muscovado sugar, flour, cocoa and milk chocolate chunks mixing well.
- Spoon mixture into tin and level with a spatula.
- Place mini creme eggs halves (yolk side up) on top at equally spaced intervals (4 x 4).
- Place on the middle shelf of oven and bake for 27 – 30 mins.
- Ready when a crust has formed, centre is lightly springy and mixture doesn’t wobble on shaking.
- Allow to cool in tin for 15 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool.
- Dust with a little icing sugar and cut into 16 squares.
I am entering my Creme Egg Chocolate Brownies into We Should Cocoa which is run by Chocolate Log Blog and hosted this month by Recipe for Perfection as the them is Brownies. I’m also entering Jibber Jabber’s Love Cake where the theme is For the Love of Cake as we all love these brownies!
Why not pin for later?