Creme Egg Chocolate Cake is an incredibly moist and delicious cake covered in a chocolate frosting with Creme Egg decoration! So easy to make and perfect for Easter, a birthday cake or to use up leftover Creme Eggs!
My son turned 18 this week. I know, I don’t look old enough you’re going to say, (just humour me) so of course I had to bake him a birthday cake.
My daughter likes to mix things up when it comes to her birthday cake choices but my son’s favourite is my Olive Oil Chocolate Cake as it is light, moist and oh so chocolaty!
This year I wanted to cover the whole cake in icing and as we had a box of Creme Eggs going spare I decided to chop them up for an Easter themed cake.
So that’s how this Creme Egg Chocolate Cake evolved.
We had a lovely day going for a walk to a pub by the canal followed by a meal out in the evening with family and to finish off the day 18 candles were scattered across the Creme Egg Chocolate Cake which my son blew out in haze of smoke!
There was one slice left today (day 3) which was as good as the day it was baked and I generously let my son have it:-)
So whether you have an Easter birthday in your house of you just want to impress your guests this Easter, I can’t recommend this cake highly enough!
More Easter Treats
- Creme Egg Chocolate Brownies – Fab Food 4 All
- Creme Egg Cookies – Fab Food 4 All
- Mini Egg Chocolate Rice Crispy Cake – Fab Food 4 All
- Mini Egg Chocolate Granola Bites – Fab Food 4 All
- Creme Egg Cupcakes – Greedy Gourmet
- Simnel Mincemeat Easter Cake with Chocolate Apostle Truffles – Tin & Thyme
- Lemon & Almond Easter Cake – Casa Costello
I’m sure you’ll love this Creme Egg Cake so do leave a comment and rating below when you make it. You can also share your creations with me @FabFood4All on Instagram!
Pin for later!
Creme Egg Chocolate Cake - moist and delicious!
- 185 g plain flour
- 2 tbsp cocoa
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 140 g / 5 oz castor sugar
- 2 tbsp golden syrup
- 2 large eggs
- 150 ml light olive oil
- 150 ml milk
- 60 g butter
- 42 g cocoa
- 4 - 5 tbsp milk approx
- 170 g icing sugar sifted
- 5 Cadbury Creme Eggs
- Preheat the oven to 170ºC.
- Grease and line 2 x 20 cm cake tins with baking paper.
- Pour the oil and milk into a jug.
- Break the eggs into a small bowl and whisk.
- Sieve the flour, cocoa, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder into a large mixing bowl.
- Make a well in the centre and add sugar and syrup.
- Gradually whisk in the eggs, oil and milk and beat well to make a smooth batter.
- Pour into the cake tins, weighing to check they are equal.
- Place in the middle of the oven and bake for 30 to 35 minutes until the cakes spring back when lightly pressed.
- Turn the cakes out onto a wire cake rack and leave to cool.
- Make the chocolate icing to sandwich and decorate the cake.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan.
- Stir in the cocoa and cook very gently for a minute, then take off the heat.
- Stir in the icing sugar and enough milk to make the desired spreadable consistency.
- Spread a third of the icing over one cake, lay the second on top and pour the remainder on top and spread over the top and sides using a palette knife
- Next chop up the Creme Eggs and scatter over the top.
- Store in an airtight container, will keep for at least 3 days.