Spelt & Wholemeal No-knead Loaf is a dense and delicious loaf which can be made really quickly and easily without kneading.
National Bread Week runs between 16 – 22 April so in its honour I have conjured up this loaf with inspiration coming from a bag of White Spelt Flour from Sharpham Park, Strong Wholemeal Flour and the idea of a no-knead loaf which I read about in my copy of “The Cranks Recipe Book” (1993). I was also sent a Hard Anodised Aluminium Loaf Tin from Mermaid which helped my loaf to bake beautifully due to its even heat distribution. The tins are oven safe up to 240°C and are fine for use with metal utensils and will never peel or blister.
I sold my bread maker at a car boot sale a couple of years ago as I realised that it took up too much room and also removed all the enjoyment of making bread.
With the no-knead method even the busiest person can make bread quickly and effortlessly so there really is no excuse now to not give it a go!
I knew this loaf would be quite dense and I’m glad to say it was a total hit with the whole family.
The slices are smaller than a conventional loaf but you don’t need to eat as much of it as it is so filling and you can slice it quite thinly too without it falling apart.
I will definitely being making this bread regularly as it was ridiculously easy to make and just like the expensive specialist loaves you get in some supermarkets.
As this loaf is far cheaper to make than its equivalent shop bought version I am entering it into this months Credit Crunch Munch which is an event run by the lovely Helen at Fuss Free Flavours and myself (I’m also host this month)! I’m also entering the Breakfast Club event where the theme is rocket fuel and as this loaf is so dense and compact I think it would be the perfect breakfast fresh or toasted with butter and marmalade for breakfast. This challenge is run by (you guessed it) Helen at Fuss Free Flavours and is being hosted by the equally lovely Gill of Tales of Pigling Bland.
NB: Mermaid sent me a 900g loaf tin, no payment was received and all opinions are my own.
Spelt & Wholemeal No-knead Loaf
- 250 g Strong Wholemeal Flour
- 250 g White Spelt Flour
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 tsp Muscovado Sugar
- 1 Sachet Fast Action Yeast
- 1 tbsp Rapeseed Oil
- 300 ml Warm Water
- 1 tbsp Mixed Poppy/Sesame Seeds
- Put flours, salt, sugar and yeast in a large bowl and mix well.
- Stir in the oil and water with a wooden spoon or you hand to form a dough.
- Add a little more water if necessary.
- Roll into an oblong shape either still in the bowl or on a floured worktop and place into a warmed and greased 2lb/900g loaf tin and cover with cling film.
- Put in a warm place to rise for about 40 minutes or until reaches within 1.25 cm of top of the top of the tin.
- Pre-heat oven to 200°C
- Brush with water and sprinkle on seeds.
- Bake in oven for 35-40 minutes.
- Wait a few minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool.