Spicy Bacon & Baked Bean Casserole is a delicious, budget friendly dish. Perfect for a midweek family meal as so quick and easy to make!
It’s funny how you can forget about recipes over the years and this is one of those which my mum always used to make which I had completely forgotten about until recently.
I think it started off life as a bacon recipe card. I have made a few tweaks to this Mexican style dish, including adding baked beans instead of mixed beans which gives it greater “kid appeal” and also makes for a better sauce.
The chillies in the dish give a gentle warmth that won’t put children off but if you wanted to pep things up then you could always add some of the chilli seeds!
Since re-discovering this dish we have had it almost every week as it is so quick and easy and relies on store-cupboard ingredients, bacon and a green pepper which most of us have in our fridges!
I also keep a stock of fresh chillies in my freezer as they are so easy to use from frozen and can often be found reduced in the vegetable aisle!
Having a dish that the whole family likes is a real bonus as my family seem to have quite different tastes!
This is my new fall back dish for when I haven’t had time to plan the evening meal and I need dinner in a hurry.
I do hope you try my Spicy Bacon and Baked Bean Casserole as I’m sure you’ll be making it again and again like me!
This recipe for Spicy Bacon & Bake Bean Casserole was previously published on Great British Chefs!
More Dinner Recipes using Bacon
- Bacon & Potato Layer Bake
- Skinny Haddock, Mushroom & Bacon Chowder
- Bacon Roly Poly
- Warm Chicken, Bacon & Tarragon Salad
- Flavours of Brazil Turkey Burgers with Bacon & Pineapple
- Chilli, Bacon & Chickpea Pasta
- Bacon, Leek & Pine Nut Pasta
- Bacon, Mushroom & Pea Linguine
- Spaghetti alla Carbonara
Do leave a comment and rating below when you’ve made this recipe as I love getting your feedback! You can also share your pictures by tagging @FabFood4All over on Instagram.
Pin for later!
Spicy Bacon & Baked Bean Casserole
- 1 Large onion finely chopped
- 1 Green pepper diced
- 3 Mixed chilli peppers de-seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Rapeseed oil
- 210 g Unsmoked back bacon chopped
- 400 g Tin chopped tomatoes
- 400 g Tin baked beans
- Freshly ground pepper
- 75 g Mature Cheddar grated
- Fry the onion, green pepper and chillies in oil on a medium heat for about 8 minutes until softened.
- Add the bacon and fry until cooked.
- Add the tomatoes and baked beans, cover and simmer gently for 5 minutes.
- Season with pepper.
- Transfer to an oven proof dish, sprinkle with grated Cheddar and brown under a grill.
- Serve with rice.