Stuffed Turkey Breast Steaks in Blankets
At this time of year it’s expected that most of us will have a turkey dinner at Christmas. Not everyone though needs or can consume an entire turkey in their household, some people have vegetarians in their family and others just need to cater for one or two. With this in mind, I decided to make Stuffed Turkey Breast Steaks in Blankets which are easy to make and prep in advance for as many or few people as you want and it was also an opportunity to try out the new Knorr Chicken Gravy Pots.
For tips and Marco Pierre White’s Christmas Roast Turkey with Orange and Smokey Bacon Baste head over to www.knorr.co.uk or you might like to watch his recipe video.
The Knorr Chicken Gravy Pots were simple to use as you just put warm water in a saucepan and add the gravy pot and slowly whisk and bring to the boil for one minute. For extra nutrients I used the hot water from my vegetables with some added cold water and you can also add the juices from your roast for extra flavour. I must say my husband and I were both impressed with the flavour of the gravy and I hadn’t added any juices from the pan so it must be good! So if you want the taste of homemade gravy without the hassle then I think these gravy pots are a winner.
As my Stuffed Turkey Breast Steaks in Blankets contain parsley and rosemary I am entering it into Karen at Lavender and Lovage’s Herbs on Saturday challenge.
First you mix your parsley and orange zest into your stuffing.
Then you bash the turkey steaks with a rolling pin to flatten.
Spread the stuffing over the turkey steaks.
Roll the steaks up.
Stretch the bacon using a knife.
Wrap the turkey parcels in the bacon.
Stab little holes in the parcels and insert sprigs of rosemary and roast.
Once cooked rest for 10 minutes.
Make the gravy just before carving turkey into slices.
Et voila, easy peasy turkey dinner!
Stuffed Turkey Breasts in Blankets
- 2 Turkey breasts about 285g/11oz
- 125 g/5oz Sausage meat stuffing
- 1 Small handful parsley chopped
- Grated zest of half small orange make sure you wash it
- 4 Rashers back bacon smoked or unsmoked
- 2 Sprigs rosemary cut into 8 - 10 small pieces
- Olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 Knorr Chicken Gravy Pot
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Mix the stuffing with the parsley and grated orange zest
- Put the turkey steaks on a chopping mat, cover with cling film and flatten (bashing) with a rolling pin until about 1cm thick, season with salt and pepper.
- Divide and spread out the stuffing mixture between the 2 steaks and roll them up lengthways.
- Then stretch the bacon by dragging the blade of a knife sideways across it at about a 10° angle.
- Wrap each rolled up turkey steak in 2 rashers of bacon.
- Stab the top of each parcel with a thin sharp knife 5 times evenly spaced across the top, then insert a piece of rosemary into each hole.
- Place in a roasting tin with a drizzle of olive oil over the top and roast in the centre of your oven for 35 minutes or until cooked.
- Allow to rest for 10 minutes covered in foil.
- Just before serving make up the Knorr Chicken Gravy Pot according to the instructions.
- To serve remove the rosemary sprigs and slice the turkey parcels up into neat slices and pour over the gravy.
This dish can be put together in the morning, wrapped in cling film and roasted later the same day.