Sweet Chilli Sausage Plait
In celebration of British Sausage Week which runs from 2 – 8 November, I decided I wanted to make a sausage plait which became this Sweet Chilli Sausage Plait. I have to admit that I’ve been intrigued by them ever since watching Nanny Pat on The Only Way is Essex as it seems to be her signature dish. (Did I just say that in public?)
So wanting to come up with my own take on the humble sausage plait I decided to give it a makeover tailoring it to my family’s taste. Being big lovers of chilli and not wanting to make it too hot for my daughter, I embarked on a fusion of Asian and British cuisine by making a Sweet Chilli Sausage Plait. If you like things hotter you could always add the seeds from the green chilli to notch up the heat! To counteract the chilli I added some grated carrot and red onion for sweetness and then finished off with a layer of Thai sweet chilli sauce before wrapping in pastry.
I’m pleased to say this dish went down a storm and has already been repeated. Serve it hot or cold (leftovers taste great and perfect for a picnic)! Enjoy with baked beans or a salad and then sit back and wait for the compliments!
For more British Sausage recipe ideas you might like to check out the following:
Scrumptious Chipolata Tagliatelle – Fab Food 4 All
Turkey Meatloaf – Fab Food 4 All
Boston Baked Beans & British Bangers – Kavey Eats
Sausage, Fennel, Squash and Courgetti – Celery & Cupcakes
Potato Sausage & Kale Pie – Hungry Healthy Happy
Sticky Glazed Honey & Mustard Glazed Sausages – Lovely Appetite
Slow Cooked Pork Sausage, Cranberry & Green Lentil Stew – Foodie Quine
Super Sticky Sausages with Creamy Mustard Pasta – Munchies & Munchkins
Cowboy Stew – The Hedge Combers
How to make Tagliatelle and a Sausage & Tomato Sauce – The Foodie Couple Blog
Sausage & Egg Muffin – The Spicy Pear
I’m entering my Sweet Chilli Sausage Plait into Credit Crunch Munch which I run with Fuss Free Flavours and is this month hosted by Elizabeth’s Kitchen Diary as sausages are inexpensive and puff pastry can often be found on special offer in the supermarket.
Why not pin for later?
Sweet Chilli Sausage Plait
- 400 – 450g Pack of good quality pork sausages min 90% pork, skinned
- 1 Medium carrot grated
- 1 Medium red onion finely chopped
- 1 Large green chilli finely chopped (seeds removed)
- 1 Clove garlic crushed
- 3 tbsp Dry natural breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp Thai sweet chilli sauce
- Ready rolled puff pastry sheet cut to 25cm x 30cm
- 1 Egg whisked for egg wash
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C.
- Place the first 6 ingredients into a bowl and mix together thoroughly with your hands.
- Place the pastry sheet onto baking paper on a baking sheet.
- Place sausage meat in the centre and form a brick shape leaving a 3cm gap at either end.
- Spread the Thai sweet chilli sauce over the sausage meat.
- Cut strips measuring 1.5cm at an angle along both sides and trim the two ends to form flaps.
- Fold one end flap over the sausage meat and then fold over the strips in alternate layers to form a plait, moistening the tips with water to secure.
- Finish by tucking in the end flap and brushing the pastry with egg wash.
- Bake in the oven for 35 – 40 minutes until golden brown and sausage meat is cooked.
- Serve hot or cold.
NB: This recipe was previously published on Great British Chefs.