Sweet Chilli Sausage Plait
In celebration of British Sausage Week which runs from 2 – 8 November, I decided I wanted to make a sausage plait which became this Sweet Chilli Sausage Plait. I have to admit that I’ve been intrigued by them ever since watching Nanny Pat on The Only Way is Essex as it seems to be her signature dish. (Did I just say that in public?)
So wanting to come up with my own take on the humble sausage plait I decided to give it a makeover tailoring it to my family’s taste. Being big lovers of chilli and not wanting to make it too hot for my daughter, I embarked on a fusion of Asian and British cuisine by making a Sweet Chilli Sausage Plait. If you like things hotter you could always add the seeds from the green chilli to notch up the heat! To counteract the chilli I added some grated carrot and red onion for sweetness and then finished off with a layer of Thai sweet chilli sauce before wrapping in pastry.
I’m pleased to say this sausage plait went down a storm and has already been repeated. Serve it hot or cold (leftovers taste great and perfect for a picnic)! Enjoy with baked beans or a salad and then sit back and wait for the compliments!
For more British Sausage recipe ideas you might like to check out the following:
- Scrumptious Chipolata Tagliatelle – Fab Food 4 All
- Turkey Meatloaf – Fab Food 4 All
- Boston Baked Beans & British Bangers – Kavey Eats
- Sausage, Fennel, Squash and Courgetti – Celery & Cupcakes
- Sticky Glazed Honey & Mustard Glazed Sausages – Lovely Appetite
- Slow Cooked Pork Sausage, Cranberry & Green Lentil Stew – Foodie Quine
- Super Sticky Sausages with Creamy Mustard Pasta – Munchies & Munchkins
- Cowboy Stew – The Hedge Combers
- How to make Tagliatelle and a Sausage & Tomato Sauce – The Foodie Couple Blog
Pin for later!
Sweet Chilli Sausage Plait
- 400 – 450g Pack of good quality pork sausages min 90% pork, skinned
- 1 Medium carrot grated
- 1 Medium red onion finely chopped
- 1 Large green chilli finely chopped (seeds removed)
- 1 Clove garlic crushed
- 3 tbsp Dry natural breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp Thai sweet chilli sauce
- Ready rolled puff pastry sheet cut to 25cm x 30cm
- 1 Egg whisked for egg wash
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C.
- Place the first 6 ingredients into a bowl and mix together thoroughly with your hands.
- Place the pastry sheet onto baking paper on a baking sheet.
- Place sausage meat in the centre and form a brick shape leaving a 3cm gap at either end.
- Spread the Thai sweet chilli sauce over the sausage meat.
- Cut strips measuring 1.5cm at an angle along both sides and trim the two ends to form flaps.
- Fold one end flap over the sausage meat and then fold over the strips in alternate layers to form a plait, moistening the tips with water to secure.
- Finish by tucking in the end flap and brushing the pastry with egg wash.
- Bake in the oven for 35 – 40 minutes until golden brown and sausage meat is cooked.
- Serve hot or cold.