Recently my daughter had a cake bake at her school and one of my friends had a minor meltdown when her Strawberry Muffins failed 3 times the night before the bake. I thought I would google to see if there were any recipes for these in cyber land as she had just swapped the blueberries in her recipe for strawberries and I wondered if Strawberry Muffins even existed. Sure enough they did and I meant to give Michelle the recipe but never got around to it!
With the gluts of strawberries that have been in the shops lately I found myself at the weekend wanting to use them up and remembered the recipe that I’d printed from Diana’s Desserts.com for Strawberry-Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins. I tweaked the recipe slightly and gave it a slightly snappier name.
The result was delicious, light and airy with the strawberries and chocolate shining afore the subtle banana back notes with not a sunken strawberry in sight. Three days later we are still eating them (still fab) as the quantity was more suited to a cake bake and not a family of four!
So having watched other people entering these challenges I thought I would join in the fun with the “Teatime Time Treats Challenge” July theme, Summer Fairs & Fêtes and Cake Stall Cakes & Bakes hosted by Lavender & Lovage this month and alternately with What Kate Baked.
So you start with bowl of all the dry ingredients and then mix together in another bowl the wet ingredients.
Add the wet to the dry ingredients, stirring to moisten and then add the fruit and chocolate.
Once mixed fill the 16 muffin cases 2/3 full and bake for 22 – 25 minutes, et voila.
These muffins can happily be made the day before your cake bake and have surprisingly good keeping qualities. I know what I’m making at the next sale!
Surely they won’t miss just one!
Just packed with yumminess!
- 240g Plain flour
- 175g Caster sugar
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Bicarbonate of soda
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 Egg
- 125 ml Light olive oil
- 125 ml Fat free or low fat Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 2 – 3 Medium mashed ripe bananas (250ml)
- 160g Chopped strawberries
- 120g Milk or Dark chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Place 16 muffin cases in a muffin tray/trays.
- In a large bowl add the flour, sugar, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt, mix well.
- In smaller bowl, whisk the egg, oil, yogurt and vanilla.
- Stir this into the dry ingredients until just moistened.
- Fold in the bananas, strawberries and chocolate chips.
- Fill muffin cases two thirds full.
- Bake for 22 – 25 minutes or until a cocktail stick inserted in middle comes out clean. The strawberries will be moist.
- Cool for 5 minutes, then put on a wire rack to cool.