Last night I wanted to use up some egg whites I had leftover from my weekend dalliance into ice cream making. I also remembered I had some Bramley apples in the fridge and therefore the obvious solution was Apple Meringue. It’s such a quick and easy pudding that I first made it a school. If you got a task to make something for someone on a low fat diet or who was convalescing then this was often the dish of choice. If you want this dish to be low fat then you can omit the egg yolks which I did as I’d already used them in my ice cream.
I’m happy to say that everyone in the family loved this pudding which believe me is no mean feat! Clean bowls all round with a small portion left for one lucky person today!
This is a great pudding for Autumn and if you’ve over indulged like we did with the ice cream you can feel satisfied without the guilt associated with a lot of puddings!
I am entering my Apple Meringue into Javelin Warrior’s “Made with Love Mondays” challenge as it fits with the theme of making everything from scratch.
I have now developed and egg free version of this recipe Vegan Apple Meringue which is also gluten-free!
- 3 Cooking apples peeled, cored and thickly sliced
- 4 tbsp Sugar or to taste
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1 tbsp Water
- 3 eggs separated Yolks are optional
- 160 g / 5 ½ oz Caster sugar white or golden
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Put the prepared apple slices in a saucepan and drizzle over the lemon juice, 4 tbsp sugar and 1 tbsp of water.
- On a low heat stew the apples until tender stirring every now and again.
- Towards the end of cooking taste and adjust sugar if needed. Once tender set aside.
- Now make the meringue by whisking (electric) the egg whites in a large clean bowl until they form stiff peaks.
- Gradually add the castor sugar 1 tbsp at a time whilst still whisking. You should end up with a smooth and glossy meringue.
- If you have the egg yolks whisk them into the stewed apples and then put the stewed apples into an oven proof dish. Otherwise simply use the plain stewed apples.
- Put the meringue mixture on top of the apples and spread evenly with a spatula. If you like a spiky effect just pat the meringue with your spatula all over.
- Put in the oven for 15 minutes until pale golden brown.