Broccoli & Tomato Quiche
When I visited my grandparents as a child there was always an abundance of home cooked food but for some reason the savoury offerings have vanished from my memory (apart from the huge roast turkey dinners at Christmas). I do remember my grandmother’s pie bird though so we must have had some sort of pie! I remember more the individual cakes, jellies and trifles (angelica and cocktail cherries were all the rage in the 70’s). So we can draw the conclusion that I had a sweet tooth from a young age plus granny usually had a paper bag containing sugar mice for me stashed away in her cabinet in the hallway! Do sugar mice still exist? Anyway, as Ronnie Corbett would say (yep showing my age again) “I digress” as the years went by the home cooking and baking went on the back burner and up popped things like M&S’s Broccoli and Tomato Quiche with various cold meats and salads. This suited me down to the ground as I’ve always been an avid fan of quiche!
So the other day, finding myself with some bargain broccoli and puff pastry it suddenly dawned on me to make my own version of the M&S Broccoli & Tomato Quiche. Why I’d never made this before I don’t know, better late than never though! This quiche also fits in with our current quest to cut down on our red and processed meat consumption which is not only a saving to the purse but better for your health. I even heard Jamie Oliver on the radio the other night telling listeners how he’d lost weight by eating more vegetable based meals.
Everyone here loved the quiche and with the offcuts of pastry I made couple of individual quiches (in mini tart tins) for the kids’ packed lunches at the same time! A definite 2 birds with one stone scenario!
Do you remember what you ate at your grandparent’s as a child? Was there anything you loved or loathed? Do let me know in the comments below!
Broccoli & Tomato Quiche
- 110 g Broccoli split or cut into florettes
- 2 Tomatoes cut into 12 slices
- 110 g Mature Cheddar cheese grated
- 4 Eggs large
- 100 mls Milk semi-skimmed or full fat
- 1 tbsp Onion grated
- 1 x 320g Puff pastry sheet
- Salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 180⁰C.
- Blanch the broccoli florettes in boiling water for 2 minutes then plunge into cold water and drain (sit on kitchen paper while they’re waiting to be used).
- Grease a lasagne tin (20cm x 24cm).
- Unroll pastry and with a rolling pin and roll the shortest length a little wider to fit the tin.
- Place the pastry sheet over the tin, press into the corners then trim the excess pastry with a knife.
- Put ¾ of the cheese in the base of the pastry case.
- Pat the tomato slices dry and then lay over the cheese followed by the broccoli.
- Top with remaining grated cheese.
- Whisk together the egg, milk, onion, salt and pepper.
- Pour over the broccoli and fold down the sides of the pastry.
- Bake on the bottom shelf of the oven for 42 – 45 minutes until golden and pastry cooked through.
If I’ve put you in the mood for quiche or tart then here are a few more you might like to make: Salmon, Courgette & Shallot Quiche + Quiche Lorraine with Slow Cooked Pulled Gammon from me, Courgette, Blue Cheese & Cherry Tomato Quiche + Pea, Mushroom & Mint Flan from Kavey, Tandoori Cauliflower Tart in an Olive Oil Crust from Kellie, Butternut Squash & Taleggio Tart from Sarah, Roasted Vegetable Quiche with Yorkshire Crust from Becca and finally Rainbow Chard & Leek Quiche from Michelle (who I may have to tie to a chair in order for her to have a rest after the birth of her gorgeous son)!
I am entering my Broccoli & Tomato Quiche into the following blog events:
Credit Crunch Munch which I run with Helen of Fuss Free Flavours and our host this month is Hannah from A New Addition.
Recipe of the Week run by Emily at A Mummy Too.
No Waste Food Challenge run by Elizabeth’s Kitchen Diary & hosted by Vohn’s Vittles.
Why not pin for later?