Cheat’s Croque Madame is a delicious stripped back version of the famous French Croque Madame using a sandwich press or toaster for a quick and delicious treat topped with a fried egg!
If you’ve been to France you can’t have helped but come across their famous Croque Monsieur or Croque Madame fried sandwiches which are traditionally made with ham and Gruyère cheese often dipped in egg and baked.
Since their first recorded mention on a Parisian café menu in 1910 we’ve had the invention of the sandwich press/toaster so I thought I’d use one to make a striped back, quick version of the Croque Madame (topped with a fried egg) and add maple syrup to the Dijon mustard as these flavours marry so well.
Cheat’s Croque Madame is just as tasty as the traditional version but without all the fuss of dipping in egg, trying or baking and my family absolutely loved it!
This recipe serves 2 but can easily be scaled up to serve 4 ! So whether you need a satisfying breakfast, brunch or lunch, do give this sandwich a go, I’m sure you’ll be as hooked as we are!
More toasted or fried sandwich recipes!
- Avocado Stuffed French Toast with Poached Egg
- Pizzetta Toast
- Cuban Pork Sandwich
- Mozarella Carrozza with Prosciuttio
- Ideas for Toasted Sandwiches
Pin for later!
Cheat's Croque Madame
Cheat's Croque Madame is a delicious stripped back version of the famous French Croque Madame using a sandwich press or toaster for a quick and delicious treat topped with a fried Egg!
- 4 Slices multi-seeded bread
- 40 g butter softened
- 2 tsp rapeseed oil
- 2 Slices ham
- 3 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 80 - 100 g Gruyère cheese grated
- 2 free range eggs
- Butter the bread and then place buttered side down.
- Mix the Dijon mustard and maple syrup together, then spread on 2 of the slices of bread (unbuttered side).
- Then add half the Gruyère to these 2 slices, followed by the ham slices and finish with the rest of the Gruyère.
- Close the sandwiches with the other 2 slices of bread (buttered side up).
- Pre-heat sandwich press/toaster and toast sandwiches until golden.
- Meanwhile heat 1 tsp of oil in small frying pan on a medium heat and fry 2 eggs until the whites are cooked and the yolk still runny.
- Once the sandwiches are toasted top with an egg and enjoy your Cheat's Croque Madame!
Be sure to fry the egg over a gentle medium heat otherwise you'll end up with a brown base and a tough egg.