This delicious Emmental Soda Bread is such a quick and easy loaf to make. Enhanced with Grana Padano, mustard and cider it’s the perfect bread to go with a bowl of soup or to make sandwiches with!
Faced with a block of Emmental that had languished in the fridge right up until its sell by date I knew I had to act fast and for some reason Soda Bread seemed the answer.
For fun I googled to see if such a thing existed, it didn’t so at least I’ve cornered this market!
Emmental is a very mild and nutty cheese which I paired with a little Grana Padano and some English Mustard for a bit of extra oomph. As I happened to have a can of pear cider in the fridge I used this too and it really does compliment the cheese.
I mixed strong wholemeal flour (because that’s what I had) with some plain white flour which gave a wonderful nutty crust. We had this with a bowl of soup and some cold food (and the rest of the Emmental) and the following day it made beautiful toast.
If you wanted a stronger flavour you could use any other cheese but I think the Emmental worked well as it played a supporting role rather than dominating the flavour of the bread.
The trick with soda bread is to get it into the oven as quickly as you can since the raising agents start working once mixed with the cider. Don’t over-work your loaf or you’ll lose too many of those valuable gases giving you a denser loaf.
As my Emmental Soda Bread is made from scratch I am entering it into Javelin Warrior’s Made with Love Mondays event. I am also linking to Cheese Please run by Fromage Homage where the theme is comfort food and winter warmers, we found this bread very comforting slathered in butter still warm from the oven!
More Soda Bread Recipes
- Easy Cheesy Jalapeno Soda Bread
- Wholemeal Cheddar & Apple Chutney Sodabread with Cider
- Oatmeal Irish Soda Bread
- Cinnamon Carrot Soda Bread
I’m sure you’ll love this easy soda bread recipe! Don’t forget to tag me on social media when you make it and leave a comment below! I love hearing from you.
Pin for later!
Emmental Soda Bread
- 250 g Plain flour
- 250 g Wholemeal Strong Flour I used Marriages Very Strong
- 220 g Emmental grated
- 20 g Grana Padano grated
- 1 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp English mustard powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 400 ml Cider Apple or Pear
- Pre-heat oven to 190°C.
- Mix the flours, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder, mustard powder and salt together.
- Mix in the grated cheeses.
- Add the cider and bring the mixture together with a fork to form a dough.
- Tip out onto a well floured work surface and knead for a minute
- Shape into a dome, flour the surface and cut a deep cross into the top.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until the base sounds hollow when knocked.
- Place loaf on a wire rack to cool.