Salmon, Courgette and Shallot Quiche is utterly delicious and incredibly easy to make as it uses a sheet of pre-rolled puff pasty in a rectangular tin.
Before I begin I’d just like to announce that I am now on twitter with user name @FabFood4All.
I never really got into quiche making as I couldn’t get to grips with baking the pastry case blind first and then filling, it all seemed very fiddly. However, thanks to a recipe I found at exclusivelyfood.com.au I discovered that quiche could be quick and simple and so I adapted their Ham and Egg Slice to make my Salmon, Courgette and Shallot Quiche.
It can be eaten hot or cold and is perfect sliced up for a picnic or serves four for dinner. I took two along to our Diamond Jubilee Street Party (warm) and I’m glad to say that it all went, with compliments from young and old alike!
For the party I pushed the boat out and used single cream but for general home consumption I use milk to be a bit healthier; it’s just as tasty. I see you can also get low fat puff pastry in the supermarket but I’ve yet to try this!
So you start by frying up your courgettes and shallots until golden.
After lining your tin with the puff pastry just trim the excess pasty off, fill and then fold the edges down on top of the egg mixture. As you can see there’s no need for perfection as it looks great in the end!
Yes the tin did change colour for the eagle eyed of you out there (having made this twice I could pick and choose the best pics).
Now just slice up according to your needs and watch how it disappears.
This was the moment at our street party when the rain got the better of us and it was decided to retreat and carry on the party indoors (where most of the kids were anyway, they’re not stupid) – and jolly good it was too!
More Quiche Recipes
- Quiche Lorraine with Slow Cooked Pulled Gammon
- Broccoli & Tomato Quiche
- Sunny Picnic Quiches
- Gruyere & Caramelised Shallot Nests
- Roasted Ratatouille Quiche
- Puff Pastry Quiche with Bacon & Mozzarella
I’m sure you’ll love my Salmon Quiche so do leave a comment and rating when you make it. Better still share a pic with me by tagging @FabFood4All on social media, I love seeing my recipes come to life!
Salmon, Courgette and Shallot Quiche
- 1 Sheet puff pastry
- 110 g / 4oz Mature cheddar cheese grated
- 1 Large courgette sliced
- 3 Shallots finely sliced
- 110 g / 4oz Smoked salmon cut into strips
- 3 Large eggs
- 100 ml Single cream or milk or a mixture
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Adjust the oven rack to the lowest position. It is important as the pastry base will bake better if it is close to the bottom element.
- Grease a 20cm x 24.5cm lasagne tin.
- Fry the courgettes and shallots for about ten minutes until golden.
- Dust your worktop with flour and using a rolling pin, roll out the pastry sheet to make it wide enough to fit the tin.
- Roll the pastry up around the rolling pin and position it over the tin, unroll and ease the pastry into it.
- Sprinkle 3/4 of the cheese over the pastry base.
- Next distribute the salmon strips and then the courgettes and shallots.
- Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Whisk the eggs and then whisk in the milk/cream, salt and pepper until well combined.
- Pour egg mixture over the filling.
- Slice away the excess pastry and then fold the edges over onto the filling.
- Bake for 38 - 40 minutes, until quiche is lightly browned and filling is cooked.
- Cut into slices and serve.