Sumptuous Turkey Pie is the perfect pie for using up your leftover Christmas turkey, bacon and cream. With added leeks and mushrooms this puff pastry pie is off the scale good so hence the name!
I was in a quandary as to what to call this pie as Turkey, Bacon, Leek and Mushroom Pie was too long and Turkey Pie didn’t quite do it justice. So I settled with Sumptuous Turkey Pie as I think this title suits it perfectly.
The rich creamy sauce marries so well with the turkey, bacon, leeks and mushrooms to make one of the most delicious pies I’ve ever tasted. My whole family loved this pie and best of all it doesn’t take too long to make.
When I was 21 I spent a few months working in an up-market caterers and delicatessen where one of my many jobs was to make pies for the shop.
There was a brilliant chef who took me under his wing to teach me little tips and tricks during my time there. For some reason I never really carried on making pies once I left but like getting back on a bicycle after many years, all the skills I learned came flooding back once I got back in the swing of it.
The lovely thing about pies is that you can let your imagination go wild when it comes to decoration but always remember to put a cut in the centre to allow the steam to be released; you don’t want your delicious pie filling spilling over the sides!
I made my pie with some leftover roasted turkey which I had in the freezer. Another good source of turkey would be to roast a couple of legs which are inexpensive and readily available in supermarkets these days.
You could eat one and keep one for pie making (you’d probably get two pies out of one leg). So don’t just sit there, go and write a shopping list because this pie is too good to be left languishing on this page – your family will love it!
More recipes using up leftover turkey or chicken
- Turkey, Bacon & Leek Pie
- Turkey & Chorizo Pie
- Turkey, Bacon & Brie Tart
- Leftover Turkey & Vegetable Soup
- Easy Leftover Turkey Curry
- Chicken Fiesta
Pin for later!
Sumptuous Turkey Pie
This Sumptuous Turkey Pie is so delicious and the perfect way to use up leftover Christmas turkey! With cream, leeks, mushrooms and streaky bacon this pie ticks all the boxes!
- 130 g streaky bacon sliced
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 2 leeks sliced
- 160 g mushrooms sliced
- 170 g cooked turkey diced
- 200 ml chicken stock
- 200 ml double cream
- 1 bay leaf
- Freshly ground pepper
- 320 g roll of puff pastry
- 1 egg beaten for egg wash
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C.
- Fry the streaky bacon in 1tbsp oil until crispy.
- Then remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add the leeks and mushroom and fry gently until softened (about 5 minutes).
- Next add the bay leaf, stock, cream and freshly ground pepper.
- Bring to a simmer and add the turkey and bacon and heat through for a few minutes.
- Unroll the pastry sheet and cut out a lid for the pie and stripes to line the rim of your deep pie dish.
- Moisten the pastry strips with water using a pastry brush and stick them to the rim of your deep pie dish.
- Ladle the turkey pie filling into the dish.
- Top the pie with the pastry lid using more water and crimp the edge with your fingers.
- Then “knock up” the edge with a sharp knife all the way round to give a puffed up looking edge. (Making lots of little cut marks up the edge).
- Make decorations with the remaining pastry if wished and pierce a hole in the centre with a knife to allow the steam to escape.
- Brush the egg wash over the pie and bake in the oven for 20 minutes until golden.
- Serve with petite pois and carrots.
- Serves 4.