Chicken and Leek Pasta Bake is enrobed in a delicious cheesy roux sauce and topped with more grated Cheddar and breadcrumbs. A quick and easy family friendly midweek meal!
This easy mid-week meal is perfect for children and adults alike. Make sure you use a good extra mature cheddar as this makes all the difference.
What are the ingredients of Chicken and Leek Pasta Bake?
- Oil for frying
- chicken breasts, cubed
- leeks, sliced
- extra mature Cheddar cheese, grated
- pasta shapes
- natural bread crumbs (home made)
- salt and pepper
How do you make Chicken and Leek Pasta Bake
- You start by pre-heating your grill.
- Then fry the cubed chicken for 5 minutes.
- Add the sliced leeks and cook under a lid for a further 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile cook the pasta.
- Melt the butter and add the flour to form a roux using a whisk. Cook for a minute to allow the starch granules in the flour to swell.
- Off the heat you gradually whisk in the milk and then boil until thicken (stirring the whole time).
- Stir in half the grated Cheddar cheese and seasoning.
- Place the cooked pasta, chicken and leeks in a heat proof dish.
- Top with the cheese sauce, breadcrumbs and the rest of the grated Cheddar.
- Place under the grill for 2 – 3 minutes or until golden and bubbling.
More Family Friendly Comfort Food Recipes
Once you tried my Chicken & Leek Pasta Bake you should try the following delicious family recipes:
- Bacon & Potato Layer Bake
- One Pot Minced Beef Hotpot
- Minced Beef & Onions
- Monday Pie
- Spicy Bacon & Baked Bean Casserole
- Egg Leek & Potato Curry
I’m sure you’ll love this pasta bake so do leave a comment and rating below when you make it. You can also tag @FabFood4All on social media to share a photo with me. I love seeing my recipes come to life!
Chicken and Leek Pasta Bake
- 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 4 small chicken breasts diced
- 200 g / 7 oz pasta spirals
- 2 leeks sliced
- 25 g / 1oz butter
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 300 ml semi-skimmed milk
- 140 g / 5oz extra mature cheddar cheese grated
- 1 tbsp natural breadcrumbs
- salt & pepper
- Pre-heat the grill.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick pan and fry the chicken for five minutes.
- Add the leeks and cook over a low heat for 10 minutes covered.
- Meanwhile cook the pasta according to instructions.
- Melt the butter in a small pan and stir in the flour to form a roux and cook for 1 minute (a small whisk is useful).
- Gradually add the milk off the heat and then bring to the boil stirring until thickened.
- Add half the cheese and seasoning and stir until melted.
- Put the chicken and pasta in an oven proof serving dish and pour over the sauce.
- Sprinkle over the rest of the cheese and breadcrumbs and grill for 2-3 minutes until golden.
- Serve with a mixed salad.