My favourite shop bought soup is a Thai Green Chicken Soup, so today I decided I wanted to recreate the flavour and ingredients in the form of a Thai Green Chicken Curry.
There was not one recipe that matched what I was looking for so armed with about 6 different recipes from my cook books and the internet I took inspiration from everywhere. Delia taught me that if I couldn’t find fresh Kaffir Lime leaves then I could revive dried ones with hot water.
I decided it would be fun to make my own green curry paste but if you don’t have time then just use a shop bought jar. I must say though that the freshness of flavour was well worth the extra effort especially if you make extra and freeze it for another time.
More Curry Recipes
- Quick & Spicy Prawn Curry
- Simple Prawn, Mushroom & Spinach Curry
- Prawn Curry
- Mutton Kofta Curry
- Slow Cooker Chicken Curry
- Vietnamese Chicken Curry
- Slow Cooker Beef Curry
- Mushroom, Spinach & Chickpea Curry
- Egg, Leek & Potato Curry
I do hope you try this Thai Green Chicken Curry! Let me know in the comments if you do.
Thai Green Chicken Curry
- For Paste:
- 5 Small green chillies
- 1 Shallot
- 2.5 cm/1in Piece of ginger peeled and grated
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- Small handful of fresh coriander stalks attached
- 1 Lemongrass stalk chopped
- ½ Lime grated zest and juice
- 4 Kaffir lime leaves torn if dried soak in hot water to rehydrate for ½ hr
- ½ tsp Ground coriander
- ½ tsp Ground cumin
- ½ tsp Ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Fish sauce
- 1 ½ tbsp of olive oil
- For curry:
- 4 Chicken breasts chopped into bite size pieces
- 1 400 ml Tin coconut milk
- 1 dsp Liquid chicken stock neat, not made up
- 1 tbsp Soft brown sugar
- 1 tsp Fish sauce
- 1 Lemon grass stalk cut in three (fat end bashed with a rolling pin)
- 3 Kaffir lime leaves soaked if dried cut into thin strips
- 1 Green pepper sliced
- 1 220 g Tin water chestnuts sliced
- 1 225 g Tin sliced bamboo shoots
- Handful chopped coriander leaves
- Juice of ½ lime
- 2 tbsp Vegetable oil
- For the paste (if you’re making it) put all the ingredients in a blender and whizz until smooth.
- Saute 2 heaped tbsp of green curry paste with the lemon grass for about 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add half the coconut milk and stir until the oil surfaces.
- Add the chicken and kaffir lime leaves and cook until the chicken looks cooked.
- Add the remaining coconut milk, fish sauce, chicken stock and brown sugar.
- Bring to the boil.
- Add the green pepper, water chestnuts and bamboo shoots.
- Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add lime juice and coriander leaves.
- Check seasoning, adding more fish sauce if necessary or more sugar.
- Serve with fragrant jasmine rice.
Why not double up the paste recipe – it will keep for 3 weeks in the fridge or 2 months in the freezer. I keep ginger in the freezer and peel and grate off what I need. Chillies also keep well whole in the freezer.