Cooked in a slow cooker (Crockpot), Beef in Beer is a delicious combination of beef, beer, mushrooms and red onions in a meaty, herby, tomato infused gravy. Serve with mashed potato for the ultimate comfort food!
Today we had our first sprinkling of snow and so I thought I should dig out a recipe that I hadn’t yet blogged which would be perfect for this weather – Beef in Beer or Beef & Ale Stew as some might call it.
It took me a long time to get into using my slow cooker because I wasn’t finding recipes that my family enjoyed.
Well here’s one that we all loved. I used the cheapest own brand stewing steak I could buy but you wouldn’t know it because what came out of the slow cooker was succulent and velvety. I found this recipe in my Cookworks slow cooker recipe leaflet and adapted it,
I think red onions add a lovely sweet caramelised flavour to slow cooked stews and casseroles so I don’t use anything else now!
What’s your favourite slow cooked dish? If you have one, do leave a link to it in the comments as I really would like to increase my own repertoire and am especially interested in other meats or vegetarian options!
How do you make Beef in Beer?
More Slow Cooker Beef Recipes
- Slow Cooked Beef and Vegetable Casserole
- Slow Cooked Beef & Butternut Squash
- Boeuf Bourguinon
- Beef with Tomatoes & Sweet Paprika
- Slow Cooker Beef Curry
- Slow Cooker Chipotle Chilli Beef
Pin for later!
I do hope you make this delicious Beef in Beer! Don’t forget to share it with me via @FabFood4All on social media!
Beef in Beer
Beef in Beer is a delicious combination of beef, beer, mushrooms and red onions in a meaty, herby, tomato infused gravy which is perfect for mopping up with mashed potato.
- 25 g / 1oz Butter
- 900 g / 2lb Stewing steak trimmed & cubed
- 3 Red onions medium chopped into 6 wedges each
- 2 Garlic cloves crushed
- 150 g Button mushrooms
- 50 g / 2oz Plain flour
- 375 ml Beef stock
- 375 ml Brown ale
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1 Bouquet garni sachet
- 2 tbsp Tomato puree
- Salt & freshly ground pepper
- Melt the butter in a large deep non-stick pan.
- Fry the steak in batches for 3 – 4 minutes, putting the cooked meat in the crock pot to wait.
- Once all the meat is cooked add it back to the pan along with the the onion, garlic and mushrooms and cook for a further 3 minutes.
- Then add the flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the stock, ale, tomato paste, bouquet garni, bay leaves and seasoning.
- Transfer to slow cooker and cook for 6 – 8 hrs on high or 8 – 10 hrs on low.
- Serve with mash to mop up the gravy and your favourite veggies!