A delicious and nutritious slow cooked Beef & Vegetable Casserole made with spelt grains, butternut squash, swede and leek – comfort food at its best!
I don’t know about you but I really couldn’t live without a bottle of Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce in my cupboard as it seems to have so many culinary uses.
Whether it’s pepping up a Marie Rose Sauce or adding to a dish such as my Minced Beef and Onions.
I remember my dad always having it splashed on an English Breakfast and my mum loved it in a glass of tomato juice – it’s a sauce we’ve all grown up with which adds a power house of flavour.
We’re constantly being told to eat more fruit and vegetables (10 portions a day was headlining this week) and less red meat, so with this in mind I developed this delicious Beef & Vegetable Casserole.
The flavour of the beef is enhanced by the Worcestershire Sauce and with the addition of spelt grains, butternut squash, swede and leek it makes for a really economical, healthy and tasty meal.
Better still, it’s cooked in the slow cooker so that you can come home to a fabulous meal and just add some green vegetables and mashed potato.
My whole family loved this dish as the sweetness of the butternut squash and the swede really compliment the beef!
I hope you try my Beef & Vegetable Casserole but for more Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce recipe inspiration why not check out this video to see how to make a tasty Italian Lasagne!
More Beef Recipes
- Easy Slow Cooker Beef Curry – dump & go
- Easy Slow Cooker Beef Stew – dump & go
- Monday Pie
- One Pot Minced Beef Hotpot
- Slow Cooked Beef & Butternut Squash
- Minced Beef & Onions
- Beef in Beer
- Italian Minced Beef Plait
- Best Crockpot Beef Stew & Dumplings
- Steak Pie with Peas, Mashed Potato & Gravy
Disclaimer: This is a sponsored post for Lea & Perrins for which I was reimbursed for my time and ingredients. All opinions are my own.
Slow Cooked Beef & Vegetable Casserole
- 400 g Stewing steak diced
- 2 tbsp Rapeseed oil
- 2 Onions roughly chopped
- 2 Cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 450 g Swede diced
- 450 g Butternut squash diced
- 3 Celery stalks sliced
- 1 Small leek sliced
- 100 g Pearled spelt grains
- 2 tbsp Tomato puree
- 10 ml Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce
- Bouquet garni
- 800 ml Beef stock
- Heat up the oil in a non-stick pan and brown the diced beef in 2 batches.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Next fry the onions in the same pan until starting to go slightly brown.
- Add the rest of the vegetables and spelt grains and fry for 5 minutes.
- Add the meat back to the pan along with the bouquet garni, Worcestershire sauce, tomato puree and stock.
- Transfer to a slow cooker and cook on high for 6 – 7 hours or low for 8 – 9 hours.
- Serve with green vegetables and mash.