This easy, spiced Blackberry & Apple Loaf is the perfect tea time treat. Have it sliced with butter or without, you decide!
Today I’m sharing my recipe for Blackberry and Apple Loaf!
Having picked lots of blackberries and apples recently I wanted to come up with a simple tea loaf to enjoy them in. After a couple of attempts I came up with this recipe which I’m very happy with.
On the first day of making its quite suited to having butter spread on it (if you wish) and on the second and consecutive days it becomes more of a moist cake, a little bit like Sophie Dahl’s Spelt Banana Bread.
This loaf is so simple to put together, all you do is mix the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients/fruit and make sure you don’t overwork the mixture.
Using frozen blackberries helps the berries stay whole but if you only have fresh ones to hand I’m sure that they would be fine too.
How long will Blackberry & Apple Loaf keep?
Store in a cake tin or air tight container where it will keep for 4 – 5 days.
As this Blackberry and Apple Loaf uses foraged fruit I am entering it into Credit Crunch Munch which is run by myself and Helen at Fuss Free Flavours and being hosted by Elizabeth’s Kitchen this month.
Next I’m entering A Kick at the Pantry Door’s Feel Good Food Challenge which is run by Victoria as the theme is apples.
More Blackberry & Apple Recipes
For more blackberry & apple recipes, check out the following:
- Blackberry and Apple Cake
- Blackberry, Apple & Speculaas Muffins
- Easy Blackberry & Apple Jam
- Easy Seedless Blackberry Jam
- Easy Blackberry & Apple Jelly
- Blackberry & Apple Trifle
- Apple & Blackberry Crumble
- Apple & Blackberry Flapjacks
Pin for later!
Blackberry and Apple Loaf
- 200 g plain flour
- 100 g castor sugar
- 50 g light Muscovado sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp mixed spice
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 135 mls light olive oil
- 2 large free-range eggs lightly beaten
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 120 g frozen blackberries
- 1 dessert apple peeled and chopped (do this at last minute)
- 1 tbsp Demerara sugar
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C.
- Grease and flour a loaf tin (22 x 11 x 6 cm)
- Sieve the flour and mix all the dry ingredients together.
- Then with a large spoon fold in the eggs, oil, vanilla extract, apples and blackberries until just mixed.
- Place in a loaf tin and sprinkle on the Demerara sugar.
- Bake for 65 – 70 minutes until a skewer comes out clean.
- Serve with butter or on its own. Will last for several days kept in an airtight container.