Blackberry and Apple Cake, with a touch of cinnamon, is perfect for using up frozen blackberries and is incredibly moist and delicious!
It was a busy old week last week with my birthday on Tuesday and my party on Saturday.
I usually bake my Olive Oil Chocolate Cake for birthdays but I saved that for the party and instead opted to make this Blackberry and Apple Cake instead as I fancied a change.
I don’t get to use blackberries very often as hubby and daughter aren’t keen – but hey it was my birthday so who was going to argue with me! It was also a good excuse to use my stash of frozen blackberries from the autumn!
Family came over in the evening and we managed to polish off most of the cake so I can safely say it was fab.
I shall keep this post brief as I think I’m still recovering from all the festivities and turning my dining room from a food blogger’s junk yard, prop store and studio back into a dining room was no mean feat.
I’d forgotten what my dining room looked like!
More bakes using Blackberries & Apples!
- Blackberry & Apple Loaf
- Blackberry, Apple & Speculaas Muffins
- Lillian’s Apple Cake
- Apple & Marzipan Dumplings
- Blackberry & Hazelnut Roulade
Do you ever make something for your birthday that you love but other’s in your family aren’t keen on? Do let me know in the comments!
Blackberry and Apple Cake
- 25 g Flaked almonds
- 170 g Butter softened or margarine
- 85 g Soft brown sugar
- 170 g Plain flour
- 2 teaspoons Baking powder
- 1 teaspoons Cinnamon
- 2 Eggs large
- 1 Dessert apple peeled, cored & quartered cut into slim slithers
- 100 g Blackberries frozen (or fresh)
- Icing sugar for dusting optional
- Pre-heat the oven to 200⁰C.
- Butter and flour a 24cm hollow or 21cm round cake tin and sprinkle in the flaked almonds.
- Cream the butter/margarine together with the brown sugar using an electric whisk until light and fluffy.
- Whisk in the eggs in one at a time (if the mixture splits don’t worry).
- Sieve the flour, baking powder and cinnamon into bowl and gradually fold into the mixture with a large metal spoon.
- Fold in the apple slices and blackberries.
- Bake on the middle oven shelf for 30 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean and the cake springs back to the touch.
- Turn out of cake tin onto a wire rack and allow to cool.
- Dust with icing sugar if wished.
- Will keep for 3 days in a cake tin.