Chunky Monkey Soda Bread
I’m very excited to be sharing my Chunky Monkey Soda Bread with you today.
I hope you all had a great Christmas and New Year. I have to say ours was plagued by colds which hubby came down with first and then me so hence the radio silence regarding new recipes this year!
Anyhow, I digress, back to the Chunky Monkey Soda Bread which started off life about 6 months ago as an experiment with gluten-free flour which went terribly wrong. I was so keen to see what I could make but I soon discovered that gluten-free flour was nothing like wheat flour. What came out of the oven was very delicious whilst still warm but once it cooled it was akin to a slab of concrete and inedible.
So clearing through lots of paperwork to do my tax return this week, I stumbled across my scribbled list of ingredients for this recipe and I decided it was high time I developed it into an edible soda bread. So using plain wheat flour was all that it needed and my Chunky Monkey Soda Bread was a huge hit.
I was shooting the pictures as my daughter returned from school and she couldn’t wait to dive in. I gave her the buttered pieces in the picture below as a reward for her patience and I waited with baited breath for her response as I hadn’t tried it myself yet! There was a big grin and a “10 out of 10 mum”. “Job done” I thought to myself and hurtled off to put the kettle on and try some myself. Sadly my son went back to university last weekend so he didn’t get to try any.
You really don’t need anything more than butter on this Chunky Monkey Soda Bread as the banana and white chocolate pieces provide all the flavour and sweetness you need. The next morning I had some for breakfast lightly toasted which works really well as it melts the white chocolate which goes all gooey and delicious. Hubby also gave it a thumbs up and was spotted having some after dinner last night!
Anyway, I do hope you try my Chunky Monkey Soda Bread and as it’s so quick and easy it’s an ideal recipe to get your kids to make! For more sweet soda bread inspiration you might like the following:
- Blueberry & Lemon Soda Bread
- Apple & Pear Cider Soda Bread
- Christmas Soda Bread
- Marzipan, Cherry & Orange Blossom Sweet Soda Bread
- Slow Cooker Tropical Soda Bread
- Cinnamon & Raisin Soda Bread
Why not pin for later?
Chunky Monkey Soda Bread - quick, easy & delicious!
- 200 mls semi-skimmed milk or any kind of dairy milk
- 1 tbs freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 370 g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 80 g white chocolate chopped into chips
- 1 medium sized ripe banana, mashed
- plain flour for dusting
- Preheat oven to 190ºC.
- Prepare a baking sheet by dusting with flour.
- Stir the lemon juice into the milk then put aside.
- Sieve the flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda into a large bowl.
- Mix in the salt, chopped white chocolate, and mashed banana.
- Add the milk and lemon mixture and mix to a dough with a fork (add a little more flour if necessary).
- Bring together to form a rough ball of dough (you can still use the fork).
- Tip onto the baking tray and flatten with your hand. (Speed is required to get this in the oven asap as the raising agents start working as soon as he liquid is added).
- Dust the top with flour (using a sieve), then cut a deep cross into the dough.
- Bake on middle shelf of oven for 30 minutes or until the base sounds hollow when knocked.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Serve warm or cold with butter.
- Will keep for a couple of days.