Our local supermarket has opened up a new bakery which is not doing that well and I have heard many complaints from customers about it. It just isn’t one thing or the other so at the end of the day there are baskets and baskets of reduced baked goods. Recently I decided that their brioche would make an excellent base for a bread and butter pudding but as half my family don’t like dried fruit I knew I couldn’t make a conventional one. So it wasn’t much of a leap of the imagination to use Nutella which my daughter seems addicted to (well chocolate in general really – no idea where she gets that from)!
Having made this Nutella Brioche Pudding three times now it is finally good enough to be released into the big wide world. Tweaks were made each time until I got it just right, not that my family minded all the taste testing! Each time I made this pudding they absolutely loved it. So if you see some brioche going cheap, don’t worry about it being a bit stale as that is perfect for this pudding. Now every time I see brioche reduced I put a loaf in the freezer and for 50p I’ve got the base of a really frugal a delicious dessert! Even if you can’t find any reduced brioche this pud is so good I think it’s worth splashing out at full price!
Nutella Brioche Pudding
- 8 – 9 Slices of brioche
- Nutella for spreading
- 375 ml Semi skimmed milk
- 3 Eggs large
- 50 g Caster sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract or paste
- Pre-heat oven to 180⁰C.
- Spread a generous layer of Nutella on 4 slices of brioche and then sandwich together with the other 4 slices. (You may need the extra slice depending on the size of your bowl and thickness of bread).
- Cut the sandwiches diagonally into 4 pieces.
- In a large bowl whisk the eggs, add the milk, vanilla extract/paste and caster sugar and whisk again.
- Dunk each quarter sandwich into the milk mixture and place pointed side up into an ovenproof dish in rows. (If need be spread Nutella on the extra slice of brioche and make 2 extra triangular sandwich pieces).
- Pour the rest of the milk mixture over the brioche sandwiches.
- Put in the bottom of the oven and cook for 35 minutes or until set.