In association with a2 Milk
So Christmas is over, I hope you all had a great time and got through it without too much exhaustion (tell me it’s not just me)!! Today I’m bringing you my Wholemeal Bread & Butter Pudding made with a2 Milk. After the excesses of the festivities I thought it would be a good idea to share a recipe that helps you to use up some of that leftover dried fruit, sherry and bread. No one wants to go cold turkey into healthy eating straight after Christmas so this comforting pud made with wholemeal bread is a great way to start heading in the right direction as it’s packed full of fibre, iron and protein. What’s more it’s totally delicious!
To make the dried fruits plump and juicy I soak them in sherry (you could use other alcohol like brandy too or water if you’re worried about very young kids). I picked up this tip when I worked briefly in catering in my early twenties but the bread and butter puddings we made were full of butter and double cream!
For this Wholemeal Bread & Butter Pudding I have used non-dairy spread which works well with the a2 Milk. Some people find they get symptoms such as a bloating or cramps after drinking cow’s milk and this could be due to the a1 protein found in most milk (a2 protein is also present). a2 Milk doesn’t contain the a1 protein, just the a2 protein and comes from particular cows who produce this naturally. So despite the scientific sounding name there is nothing out of the ordinary about this milk, it’s just natural and delicious and kinder to tummies.
I do hope you try my Wholemeal Bread & Butter Pudding as it’s a great comforting winter pud. For more recipe ideas using a2 Milk you might like to check out the following:
You might also like puddings:
- Nutella Brioche Pudding
- Golden Syrup & Clotted Cream Croissant Pudding
- Chocolate Orange Panettone Pudding
- Quick Apple Puddings
I’m linking up my Wholemeal Bread & Butter Pudding to Elizabeth’s No Waste Food Challenge as it uses up Christmas leftovers.
Why not pin for later?
NB: This recipe was commissioned by a2 Milk and all opinions are my own.
Wholemeal Bread & Butter Pudding
- 80 g dried fruit sultanas, raisins, currants
- 4 tbsp sherry
- 8 slices stale wholemeal bread
- dairy free spread for spreading
- 600 mls a2 Milk
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla paste/extract
- 50 g caster sugar
- Soak the dried fruit in the brandy or sherry until plump (overnight is good).
- Grease a large deep dish.
- Butter the slices of bread with the spread and cut into quarters.
- Whisk the eggs and then whisk in the milk, caster sugar and vanilla paste/extract.
- Dip each quarter slice of bread into the milk and with half the slices make a single overlapping layer in the base of the dish.
- Sprinkle on half the drained dried fruit.
- Make another layer of bread on top and sprinkle on the rest of the dried fruit tucking some in under the bread slices.
- Pour on the rest of the milk mixture and allow to rest for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
- Bake on the bottom shelf of oven for 40 - 45 minutes until golden.