Sponsored by Branston
Ploughman’s Open Sandwich is a fusion of a British Ploughman’s lunch and a Danish open sandwich. A marriage of flavours that work incredibly well!
Growing up there was always a jar of Branston Pickle in our fridge and if you were having cheese it was unthinkable not to have some with it!
These days there is a much wider variety of pickles and chutneys on the market but Branston has still remained a staple in our fridge over the years.
Danish open sandwiches are often made on a bed of lettuce but I decided to make this Ploughman’s Open Sandwich on a bed of watercress as I love the pepperiness it brings and it’s so tantalizing on the taste buds!
The joy of open sandwiches is that they are lower in calories as you only have one slice of bread and the “filling” becomes the star of the show and is visually much more appealing and appetising. If you’re having a friend over for lunch impress them with an open sandwich as they so easy to make!
To say this fusion was a success would be a total understatement, my family were blown away by this sandwich combination which I would never have thought to make but it works so well with the flavours complimenting each other beautifully.
From the sweetness of the Branston Pickle to the sourness of the cocktail gherkin and all the other components in between this sandwich really stands out from the crowd! Best of all it takes not time at all to put together so I do hope you give it a try!
For more Sandwich Day inspiration why not check out Branston’s Facebook page!
More Sandwich Ideas!
- Egg and Prawn Open Sandwich with Lemon Mayonnaise
- Avocado Stuffed French Toast
- Micro Quail Egg & Smoked Ham Danish Open Sandwich
- Carrot, Hummus and Avocado Sandwiches
- Viking Rib Eye Steak Bagel
- Halloumi Sandwich with Sun-dried Tomatoes and Rocket
When you make my Ploughman’s Open Sandwich do leave a comment and rating below as it really helps other readers. You can also share a snap with me by tagging @FabFood4All on social media, I love seeing my recipes come to life!
Pin for later!
NB: This post has been commissioned by Branston and all opinions are my own.
Ploughman's Open Sandwich
- 1 Slice rye bread buttered (has to be butter)
- 2 tsp (heaped) Branston Pickle
- 1 handful watercress + extra sprig to garnish
- 1 Slice good quality ham
- 1 Slice Five Counties cheese or Cheddar
- 2 Slices vine ripened tomato
- 2 Slices cucumber
- A good squeeze of mayonnaise
- 1 – 2 Cornichons (cocktail gerkins) sliced and fanned
- Spread the Branston Pickle over the buttered rye bread and then top with the watercress, ham and cheese.
- Next layer on alternate slices of cucumber and tomato and then drizzle with a good squeeze of mayonnaise.
- Finish with a fanned cocktail gherkin and a sprig of watercress.