This easy mid-week meal is perfect for children and adults alike. Make sure you use a good strong cheddar as this makes all the difference.
Chicken and Leek Pasta Bake
- 1 tbsp oil
- 4 small chicken breasts, diced
- 175g / 7oz pasta spirals
- 2 leeks, sliced
- 25g / 1oz butter
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 300 ml semi-skimmed milk
- 125g / 5oz extra mature cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 tbsp natural breadcrumbs
- salt & pepper
- Pre-heat the grill.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick pan and fry the chicken for five minutes.
- Add the leeks and cook over a low heat for 10 minutes covered.
- Meanwhile cook the pasta according to instructions.
- Melt the butter in a small pan and stir in the flour (a small whisk is often useful).
- Gradually add the milk off the heat and then bring to the boil stirring until thickened.
- Add half the cheese and seasoning and stir until melted.
- Put the chicken and pasta in an oven proof serving dish and pour over the sauce.
- Sprinkle over the rest of the cheese and breadcrumbs and grill for 2-3 minutes until golden.
- Serve with a mixed salad.