Yes it’s time to get all patriotic again, dig out the bunting and be proud to be British and no I’m not talking about Eurovision (but actually these cakes would be equally good at your Eurovision party!). As a child the Silver Jubilee was an incredibly exciting time and now as a parent it is my turn to help create a buzz for my children. Maybe you’re having a street party or your child’s school is having a Diamond Jubilee cake bake – either way it is a good excuse to make some cakes and release you inner child or even better get your children involved.
These cakes are based on Nigella’s Fairy Cake recipes from Nigella’s web site and from ‘How to Eat – The Pleasures and Principles of Good Food’ which I’ve adapted and also included a raspberry buttercream and of course the red, white and blue sweets as decoration. The cake ingredients are just blitzed together as I don’t like a lot of fuss when it comes to cake making. These cakes are foolproof, so go on give them a go! My family gave them 5 stars.
Just blitz most of the ingredients together and then add the milk and blitz again. Then add to cake cases and bake..
For the raspberry buttercream sieve the raspberries to make a puree then mix with the butter and icing sugar.
Swirl on the buttercream with the back of a teaspoon and decorate with sweets.
- 125g / 4½oz Unsalted butter, softened
- 125g / 4½oz Castor sugar
- 2 Large eggs
- 125g / 4½ oz Self-raising flour
- 1tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 2-3 tbsp Milk
- Pinch of salt
- For the Raspberry Buttercream:
- 85g / 3oz Butter, softened
- 285g /10 oz Icing sugar
- 4 tbsp Raspberry puree (about 100g fresh raspberries, sieved)
- Red, white and blue Smarties, jelly beans, sugar balls etc
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Line a 12-bun tray with paper cases.
- Put all the cake ingredients except the milk in the processor or food mixer, adding a pinch of salt, and blitz furiously.
- Then pour in 2 tablespoons milk and process again till you have a smooth, flowing cake batter.
- Then, using a spoon and a rubber spatula, divide it into the paper cases.
- Cook for 15 – 20 minutes until they spring back to the touch and cool on a wire rack.
- To make the raspberry buttercream put all the ingredients into a bowl and mix well with a fork until smooth.
- Once the cakes are cooled spoon on a generous amount of buttercream and swirl with the back of a spoon to distribute evenly.
- Now for the fun bit, let you imagination go wild and decorate the cakes any way you wish.