Diamond Jubilee Cupcakes are delicious vanilla cupcakes with a raspberry buttercream icing topped with red, white and blue sweets and sprinkles. Great for kids to help making!
Yes it’s time to get all patriotic again, dig out the bunting and be proud to be British and no I’m not talking about Eurovision (but actually these cakes would be equally good at your Eurovision party!). As a child the Silver Jubilee was an incredibly exciting time and now as a parent it is my turn to help create a buzz for my children.
Maybe you’re having a street party or your child’s school is having a Diamond Jubilee cake sale? Either way it is a good excuse to make some cakes and release you inner child or even better get your children involved.
These Diamond Jubilee Cupcakes are based on Nigella’s Fairy Cake recipes from Nigella’s web site and from ‘How to Eat – The Pleasures and Principles of Good Food’ which I’ve adapted and also included a raspberry buttercream and of course the red, white and blue sweets as decoration.
The cupcake ingredients are just blitzed together as I don’t like a lot of fuss when it comes to cake making. These cakes are foolproof, so go on give them a go! My family gave them 5 stars.
Just blitz most of the ingredients together and then add the milk and blitz again. Then add to cake cases and bake..
For the raspberry buttercream sieve the raspberries to make a puree then mix with the butter and icing sugar.
Cool the cupcakes on a wire rack.
Then swirl on the buttercream with the back of a teaspoon and decorate with sweets.
More Cupcake Recipes
I’m sure you’ll love my Diamond Jubilee Cupcakes but here are a few more recipes for you to try!
- Chocolate Cupcakes
- Lemon & Elderflower Curd Cupcakes
- Chocolate Chip Marmalade Cakes
- Kumquat Cupcakes with Orange Glaze
- Salted Caramel Apple Cupcakes
- Vanilla Butterfly Fairy Cakes
And if you need a patriotic dessert recipe then check out my Diamond Jubilee Pavlova!
If you make these patriotic cupcakes do share by tagging @FabFood4All on social media!
Pin for later!
Diamond Jubilee Cupcakes
- 125 g / 4½oz Unsalted butter softened
- 125 g / 4½oz Castor sugar
- 2 Large eggs
- 125 g / 4½ oz Self-raising flour
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 2-3 tbsp Milk
- Pinch of salt
- For the Raspberry Buttercream:
- 85 g / 3oz Butter softened
- 285 g /10 oz Icing sugar
- 4 tbsp Raspberry puree about 100g fresh raspberries, sieved
- Red, white and blue Smarties, jelly beans, sugar balls etc
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Line a 12-bun tray with paper cases.
- Put all the cake ingredients except the milk in the processor or food mixer, adding a pinch of salt, and blitz furiously.
- Then pour in 2 tablespoons milk and process again till you have a smooth, flowing cake batter.
- Then, using a spoon and a rubber spatula, divide it into the paper cases.
- Cook for 15 – 20 minutes until they spring back to the touch and cool on a wire rack.
- To make the raspberry buttercream put all the ingredients into a bowl and mix well with a fork until smooth.
- Once the cakes are cooled spoon on a generous amount of buttercream and swirl with the back of a spoon to distribute evenly.
- Now for the fun bit, let you imagination go wild and decorate the cakes any way you wish.