Patriotic Platinum Jubilee Cupcakes are delicious vanilla cupcakes with a raspberry buttercream icing topped with red, white and blue sweets and sprinkles. Using the all-in-one method these cupcakes are super easy and don’t require any decorating or piping skills so are great to make with kids! These red, white and blue cupcakes would also be perfect for a King’s Coronation street party, garden party or even a kid’s birthday party!
Her Majesty, the Queen is celebrating her Platinum Jubilee with an extended weekend of events from 2nd to 5th June 2022. There will be street parties and all sorts of events to celebrate.
So, with this in mind I thought I’d dust down my utterly delicious Diamond Jubilee Cupcakes recipe, by re-shooting and updating it ready to become a Platinum Jubilee Cupcakes recipe.
I didn’t update the process shots (well may one) so you’ll notice a difference in cupcake cases and buttercream colour which will be explained further down.
I can’t wait for our Platinum Jubilee Street Party and I shall be bringing these cupcakes as they’re so easy to make. My daughter did all the decorating and I whipped up the cake batter that comes together really quickly.
Where do you get Red, White & Blue Sweets and Sprinkles?
You’d think that sweet manufacturers would bring out some patriotic coloured sweets to celebrate the Platinum Jubilee but sadly they didn’t. So, I bought 2 packs of supermarket own brand jelly beans and picked out the red and white jelly beans. I also bought 8 packs of Smarties and picked out the blue and red Smarties. I bought my Jubilee sprinkles in M & S but I noticed there were patriotic sprinkles in all the supermarkets.
How else can you decorate these Jubilee Cupcakes?
You can make Jubilee Butterfly Cakes by cutting out small circle of cake from the top, cut the circle in half, fill the hole with raspberry buttercream, place the “wings” into the buttercream and decorate with sprinkles. (See pic below which also shows pale pink buttercream from using fresh raspberries).
Can you make these Jubilee Cupcakes ahead of time?
Yes, these cupcakes keep really well and you can make them a day or 2 in advance as long as you store them in a single layer in a cake tin or Tupperware.
How many cupcakes does this recipe make?
This recipe makes 12 cupcakes but you could easily double to make 24 or triple the recipe to make 36 for a large party.
How long will these Jubilee Cupcakes keep?
These cupcakes will keep for at least 3 days if stored properly.
Can you freeze Platinum Jubilee Cupcakes?
Yes, you should freeze the cupcakes before decorating and decorate with the raspberry buttercream once they’ve thawed. Freeze cupcakes in a resealable plastic back pushing out as much air as possible. You can wash and re-use the bag afterwards.
Can you use frozen raspberries rather than fresh for the buttercream?
Yes, I used frozen raspberries this time and I found the colour and flavour more intense than when I used fresh raspberries. So, if you prefer your buttercream to be pale pink, then use fresh raspberries (see colour in photo further on).
How to make easy Jubilee Cupcakes!
- The cupcake ingredients are just mixed together in a stand mixer, food processor or you could use an electric whisk.
- Just blitz most of the ingredients together and then add the milk and blitz again.
- Then add to cake cases and bake.
- Cool the cupcakes on a wire rack.
- For the raspberry buttercream, sieve the raspberries to make a puree and then mix with the butter and icing sugar.
- Then swirl on the buttercream with the back of a teaspoon and decorate with sweets and sprinkles (or make Butterfly Cakes like the one at the back below).
More Cupcake Recipes
I’m sure you’ll love my patriotic cupcakes but here are a few more recipes for you to try!
- Lemon & Elderflower Curd Cupcakes
- Chocolate Cupcakes
- Chocolate Chip Marmalade Cakes
- Kumquat Cupcakes with Orange Glaze
- Salted Caramel Apple Cupcakes
More Jubilee Recipe Ideas
- Diamond Jubilee Pavlova
- Rhubarb & Blueberry Tarte Tatin with Union Jack design
- Victoria Sandwich
- Union Jack Jubilee Traybake
- Red, White & Blue Mini Strawberry Shortcakes
I’m sure that you, your family and friends will love these summery, red, white and blue Jubilee Cupcakes so do leave a comment and rating below.
You can also share your cupcakes with me by tagging @FabFood4All on Instagram!
Pin Jubilee Cupcakes for later!
NB: First published as Diamond Jubilee Cupcakes on 23/05/2012 and updated to Platinum Jubilee Cupcakes on 27/05/2022.
- 1 Digital scales
- 12 patriotic paper cupcake cases
- 1 12 hole bun tray or shallow muffin tray
- 1 stand mixer, food processor or electric whisk
- mixing bowl if using electric whisk
- 1 medium sized glass bowl
- 1 rubber spatula
- 1 teaspoon
- 1 wire rack
- 1 Set measuring spoons
- 125 grams / 4½oz unsalted butter softened
- 125 grams / 4½oz castor sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 125 grams / 4½ oz self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
- 1 Pinch salt
For the Raspberry Buttercream:
- 55 grams / 2 oz unsalted butter softened
- 190 grams / 6,5 oz Icing sugar
- 67 grams raspberries, fresh or frozen sieved (giving 40 ml puree)
- Jelly bean sweets pick out the red and white jelly beans
- Smarties (sugar coated chocolate buttons) pick out the blue and red Smarties
- red, white & blue cake sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Line a 12 bun tray or shallow muffin tray with paper cupcake cases.
- Put all the cake ingredients except the milk in a food processor or stand mixer, adding a pinch of salt, and blitz/mix on a high speed until thoroughly mixed. (Don't over mix).
- Then pour in 2 tablespoons milk and process again till you have a smooth, flowing cake batter.
- Using a spoon and a rubber spatula, divide the batter equally between the paper cases.
- Bake for 18 – 20 minutes until they spring back to the touch.
- Cool cupcakes on a wire rack.
- To make the raspberry buttercream put the butter, icing sugar and raspberry puree into a bowl and mix well with a fork until smooth.
- Once the cakes are cooled spoon on a generous amount of buttercream and swirl with the back of a spoon to distribute evenly.
- Now for the fun bit, let you imagination go wild and decorate the cakes any way you wish with the sweets and sprinkles.