Having the children at home for the holidays means more mouths to feed than usual and with all the bargains I’ve been finding in Tesco lately (see my Facebook page) I’ve been making lots of spur of the momentr soups for lunch. I wasn’t intending to post this Caramelised Courgette Soup so didn’t write it down as I made it but it went down so well with the family I felt I should! Indeed my son walked into the kitchen at lunch time and said “do we have to have courgette soup?” as if it was something we have all the time which is certainly isn’t. Anyway fast forward past my hurt feelings to the bit where he said (after emptying his bowl)“actually that was really nice”.
The thing that makes this soup extra yummy is frying the courgettes until golden which along with the garlic gives them a lovely caramelised flavour. There was plenty left for the following day and due to the potato in it, it thickened up over night so you can just water it down a bit the following day!
Caramelised Courgette Soup
- 2 tbsp Rapeseed oil
- 1 Large onion finely diced
- 2 Celery sticks chopped
- 3 Garlic cloves crushed
- 900 g Courgettes sliced
- 1 Medium potato diced
- 850 mls Chicken or vegetable stock
- Salt & freshly ground pepper
- Heat the oil in a pan and sweat the onions and celery under a lid until soft but not coloured (about 10 minutes, stirring occassionaly).
- Add the courgettes, garlic and potato and fry until the courgettes turn golden, turning with a wooden spoon.
- Add the stock, salt and pepper and replace the lid.
- Bring to the boil and then lower the heat to a simmer for 15 – 20 minutes (until potatoes are cooked).
- Blend the soup until smooth and check the seasoning.
- Serve with crusty bread.
As this soup is made with bargain courgettes and celery I am entering it into Credit Crunch Munch which I am hosting this month and run with Fuss Free Flavours. Next I’m entering Extra Veg also run by Fuss Free Flavours and co-hosted by Utterly Scrummy this month. I’m entering No Waste Food Challenge run by Elizabeth’s Kitchen Diary and finally Simple and in Season over at Ren Behan!