When faced with a glut of fruit my first thought always turns to jam! So when I recently came across 3 punnets of raspberries for 2p each and a punnet of blackcurrants for 1p after eating some of the raspberries I decided to make jam with the rest of the fruit. I’ve never been that keen on blackcurrants and remember growing them at my old house and making jam but I just found it a bit too sharp for my taste. However I knew in a much smaller ratio to the raspberries they would just give a more subtle flavour hit and I have to say they worked beautifully together. So if you haven’t made Raspberry & Blackcurrant Jam before I can highly recommend it!
Last night I made some strawberry tarts on the spur of the moment and having run out of apricot jam (which I would normally use as a glaze), instead I used my Raspberry & Blackcurrant Jam and it took the tarts to a new level of deliciousness! I will have to post them at some point although I only took a couple of snaps with my phone as I hadn’t realised how fabulous they’d be!
Raspberry and Blackcurrant Jam
- 450 g Raspberries washed (I spin dry mine in salad spinner)
- 150 g Blackcurrants washed and de-stalked
- 675 g Granulated sugar
- 2 tsp Lemon juice
- 300 mls Water
- Place raspberries, blackcurrants, lemon juice and water into a preserving pan (or one of that size).
- Bring to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes stirring occassionally.
- Turn the heat down low and stir in the sugar until completely dissolved.
- Bring to the boil (stirring to prevent sticking) and time for 7 minutes.
- Take off the heat and pour a few drops onto a chilled saucer.
- Push you finger through and if it forms a crinkle it's ready.
- If not, re-boil for a couple of minutes and repeat until ready.
- Pour into hot sterilised jars.
- Makes about 800mls.
You might also like my: