Monday Pie is a great dish for using up your leftover roast beef! So quick, easy and delicious, you’ll be making this again and again!
I thought it was high time I updated my popular Monday Pie recipe and photography. This is a traditional recipe for using up your roast beef from Sunday which I originally adapted by adding mushrooms and par boiling the potato slices.
When you make something a lot you often make little tweaks and so the only one I have made since is to add a whole tin of tomatoes instead of just half.
We don’t have my Monday Pie nearly as often now since my daughter became a vegetarian but as my son came back from University at the weekend we had roast beef and so of course on Monday it had to be Monday Pie!
I have to admit that my mind wasn’t completely on the job in hand. Having a poorly cat that I’m nursing round the clock, a daughter who suddenly had an asthma attack and needed collecting from school just as 2 trucks delivering and mixing concrete had parked across my driveway and then having the noise of said trucks on my return meant that I forgot to add the gravy powder to the recipe.
I also blame having a new laptop which I haven’t wanted to ruin by bringing into the kitchen so thought that I’d use my Google Home Mini to read out the recipe.
So although I got the gravy powder out of the cupboard, I skipped forward and then simply forgot. I had tried using my phone but it kept going to sleep, maybe I need to adjust the settings as you can’t keep touching your phone while you’re cooking!
So just imagine that the sauce is a little browner and thicker as I didn’t want to have to wait another couple of months before my son came back from uni again!
If you haven’t had Monday Pie before I do hope you try it as it’s so easy to make and comfort food at its best! You simply start by par boiling your potato slices and then mix all of the other ingredients together bar the cheese which is added 15 minutes before the end.
For more beef recipe inspiration you might like:
- Minced Beef and Onions
- One Pot Minced Beef Hotpot
- Beef & Vegetables Stir Fry with Noodles – ActiFry Recipe
- Italian Minced Beef Plait
- Slow Cooked Beef & Butternut Squash
- Beef in Beer (slow cooked)
- Leftover Roast Beef Hash
For more ways to use up leftover roast meat check out:
- Chicken Fiesta
- Rolled BBQ Chicken Pie
- Healthy Coronation Chicken Recipe
- Chicken and Leek Pasta Bake
- Sumptuous Turkey Pie
- Quick Leftover Pork Pesto Pasta
- Simple Pork Fried Rice
- Lamb Burning Love
- Leftover Venison Spicy Rissoles
I’m sure you’ll love my Monday Pie so do leave a comment and rating below when you make it! Plus share your pics with me by tagging @FabFood4All on social media!
Pin for later!
- 475 g potatoes thinly sliced
- 250 - 350 g cold roast beef chopped into 1cm cubes
- 2 onions medium sized, finely chopped
- 75 g mushrooms finely chopped
- 420 g tin of baked beans
- 400 g tin of Chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp gravy powder
- 1 tsp Worcester sauce
- 1 tsp plain flour
- 100 g Cheddar cheese grated
- salt & freshly ground pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 190°C.
- Par-boil the potato slices in a pan of boiling water for 5 minutes.
- Mix all the other ingredients together except the Cheddar.
- Put in a dish and cover with potato slices.
- Bake in oven for 30 minutes and then cover with grated Cheddar.
- Return to oven for 15 minutes until the cheese has melted and going golden.
- Serve with vegetables of your choice.