In association with Cirio
I absolutely adore Cirio tomatoes and as long as they’re in the cupboard I never feel very far away from a really good meal. Unlike cheap tinned tomatoes the Cirio ones are grown in Italy and are just vastly superior in flavour, colour and texture, you really can’t go wrong with them!
So today I’m bringing you my One Pot Butternut Squash and Chorizo Casserole that I’ve been dying to share with you as the first time I made it I didn’t photograph it. So when Cirio got in touch and asked me to develop a recipe for them I knew I had to give this delicious dish it’s moment of glory!
The flavoursome Cirio chopped tomatoes form the perfect back drop to the butternut squash, chorizo, cumin, paprika and sherry flavours and bulgar wheat provides some lovely texture to the mix as well as absorbing lots of the lovely juices.
My family love this casserole for its flavour and I love it as it saves on washing up in the evening as it’s all cooked in the one pot. Served with some crusty bread or toast this really is a fabulous meal!
If preparing a butternut squash puts you off cooking with them then the easiest way to prepare one is to slice off the to and bottom, prick it over with a fork and microwave for about 3 minutes on full power. Allow to cool and the skin will then glide off with a vegetable peeler and the flesh will be easier to cut too as it will be be slightly cooked.
I do hope you try my One Pot Butternut Squash and Chorizo Casserole as I’m sure you’ll love it! For more recipes using Cirio tomatoes you might like these:
- Slow Cooked Chicken Italian
- Simple Prawn, Mushroom & Spinach Curry
- Shakshuka Spicy Tomato Bake Eggs
- Jolof Spaghetti
- Fagioli All’Ullcelletto (Beans in Tomato Sauce)
Pin for later!
NB: This post was commissioned by Cirio and all opinions are my own.
One Pot Butternut Squash and Chorizo Casserole
- 2 tbsp Rapeseed oil
- 1 Onion sliced
- 2 Garlic cloves crushed
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 50 g Chorizo diced (sliced & cut into 4 pieces)
- 1 Butternut Squash diced
- 1 Red pepper large, chopped
- 4 Celery stalks sliced
- 1 x 400g Tin Cirio chopped tomatoes
- 450 mls Vegetable stock
- Splash of sherry
- 75 g Bulgur wheat
- Freshly ground salt and pepper
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick pan/wok and sweat the onion and garlic over a medium heat, under a lid until softened, stirring occasionally (takes about 10 minutes).
- Add the celery, cumin seeds and paprika and gently fry for another 2 minutes.
- Make a well in the centre, add the chorizo and fry until cooked through.
- Add the butternut squash and red pepper fry for another couple of minutes whilst stirring.
- Then add the Cirio chopped tomatoes, vegetable stock, splash of sherry, salt and pepper.
- Bring to the boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the bulgur wheat and simmer for another 15 minutes but this time with a lid on.
- Serve with crusty bread or toast to mop up the juices.