I was so very heartened by the popularity of my Diamond Jubilee Cupcakes that I thought that I would adapt an old favourite to give it a patriotic makeover. Chopped bananas hide in the cream and compliment the fresh regal fruits above. I have adapted a Pavlova recipe from The Dairy Book of Family Cookery which was produced to celebrate the anniversary of the Milk Marketing Board. The foreward in the book was written by HRH The Duchess of Kent so I feel this recipe was destined to be royal.
After whisking the egg whites and sugar and adding the vanilla extract and vinigar the meringue is spread out on the baking paper to form a circle.
Cook the meringue until firm to the touch.
This dessert won’t hang around for long!
- 3 Egg whites
- A pinch of salt
- 250g / 9oz Caster sugar
- 5ml (1tsp) Vanilla extract
- 5ml (1tsp) vinegar
- 300ml (10 fl oz) Whipping Cream
- Fresh strawberries, raspberries, blueberries
- 2 Small bananas, chopped
- Draw a 23cm (9 inch) circle on non-stick paper and place on a baking sheet.
- Whisk the egg whites with the salt until very stiff, then gradually whisk in the sugar.
- Beat until it forms stiff peaks again.
- Fold in the vanilla extract and vinegar.
- Spread the meringue mixture over the circle and bake in the oven at 140°C for about 1 hour until firm.
- Leave to cool.
- Then carefully remove the paper and place the Pavlova on a plate.
- Whip the fresh cream until stiff then fold in the chopped banana and pile on to the meringue and decorate with the fruit to form a Union Jack.