I keep a ball of mozzarella in the fridge most of the time as it is so versatile and can be made into a wide variety of meals. This pizza was inspired by bruschetta and just kind of evolved. It always goes down well with the family and is great with a salad or a bowl of soup for lunch or a light supper.
After toasting the ciabattas (pictured are paninis which are not waxy enough) rub them with a clove of garlic.
Slather a generous amount of pesto onto each slice.
Then the mozzarella and tomato slices are laid on alternately before putting under the grill.
Grill until the mozzarella melts.
- 2 Mini ciabattas or 1 large one
- Jar of red or green pesto
- Extra virgin olive oil for drizzling
- 1 Ball of mozzarella, sliced into 12 slices
- 3 or 4 Vine ripened tomatoes sliced
- Garlic clove
- Freshly ground pepper
- Pre-heat the grill.
- Slice the ciabattas in half lengthways (and in half again if using one large one).
- Grill the outsides of the ciabattas on both sides until lightly toasted.
- Rub a clove of garlic on the inner surface of the ciabattas.
- Spread enough pesto onto each ciabatta to cover the surface.
- Now put on alternate slices of tomato and mozzarella.
- Drizzle with olive oil and season with pepper.
- Grill until the cheese has melted.