Old Fashioned Lemonade is so simple to make & utterly refreshing! Pared lemon slices, lemon juice, sugar and water are all you need to make this traditional thirst quenching drink!.
Well it was the hottest day of the year yesterday and so I thought it was high time that I made this Old Fashioned Lemonade that I first made at school. The recipe has been in my Home Economics index box along with all my other school recipes for decades and I had never revisited it!
Having had some supermarket premium old fashioned lemonade at the weekend I knew that I didn’t want mine to be as sickly sweet but more light and refreshing. Hence I cut down the amount of sugar in my old school recipe and gave the method a bit of an overhaul.
I kept to the main principal of steeping the sugar and parred lemon strips in boiling water for a really good depth of flavour. Pith does not give a good flavour so I wanted to avoid it and concentrate on the lemon juice and zestiness of the peel.
So amid the sweltering heat yesterday my family were literally champing at the bit to have a glass of my Old Fashioned Lemonade.
“Delicious” and “really refreshing” were the a couple of their comments although my daughter said it was “a bit too lemony”! I asked here if it wasn’t sweet enough, to which she replied “no” but within moments here glass was empty and she was onto the next one. I think she just wasn’t used to the zesty taste!
I do hope you try my Old Fashioned Lemonade. I’m sure it has less sugar in it than most if not all of the premium chilled ones on the market and is far cheaper to make. Plus to save pennies wash your own lemons rather than buying unwaxed ones
More refreshing summer drinks:
- Non Alcoholic Mojito – Fab Food 4 All
- Apple, Grape & Kiwi Quencher (Juicer recipe) – Fab Food 4 All
- 5-a-Day Fruit Smoothie – Fab Food 4 All
- Peach & Rhubarb Iced Tea – Tin & Thyme
- Raspberry Lemonade – Recipes from a Pantry
- Homemade Strawberry & Mint Lemonade – Coffee & Vanilla
I am entering my Old Fashioned Lemonade into:
As usual, do share your creations with me tagging @FabFood4All on social media! I love to see my recipes come to life! You could also leave a comment below, don’t be a stranger!
Pin for later!
Old Fashioned Lemonade
- 3 large unwaxed or washed lemons
- 130 g granulated sugar
- 750 ml boiling water + 500 ml cold water
- 1 lemon sliced
- Ice cubes
- Start by placing 500 ml cold water in the fridge to cool.
- Thinly par (slice or peel) the rind off the lemons in strips (trying to avoid as much pith as possible).
- Place the pared lemon strips with the sugar in a heat proof jug and pour on the boiling water.
- Agitate with a wooden spoon to help dissolve the sugar and leave to infuse for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile cut the 3 lemons in half and juice then place in fridge.
- Once the 20 minutes is up remove the parred lemon strips with a slotted spoon (or strain). Add the chilled water and juice.
- Place back in fridge and when ready to serve add the lemon slices and plenty of ice.