Mushroom & Walnut Penne is a nutritious organic, low fat, vegetarian dish made with mushrooms, walnuts, white wine and yogurt, finished off with a good grating of hard cheese!
To celebrate Organic Food Month #OrganicSeptember, Sainsbury’s sent me some items from their So Organic range of which there are over 250 products!
We often just think of fruit and vegetables when it comes to organic but you can get most foods in an organic version these days and the So Organic range does a pretty good job of covering most angles! From the selection of So Organic goodies I was sent I picked out the Soave white wine, walnuts and penne which I decided would form the base to a hearty vegetarian pasta dish.
With the shopping voucher Sainsbury’s provided I also purchased So Organic: rapeseed oil, red onions, garlic, white mushrooms, plain yogurt and Parmigiano Reggiano.
We’re trying to eat less meat at the moment so my Mushroom & Walnut Penne went down very well with the family as mushrooms and walnuts make a great meat protein substitute. Being low fat it is also an excellent dish for the health conscious amongst us (I don’t do diets but I do believe in healthy eating and everything in moderation).
I always love being challenged to come up with new recipes and I’ve put the rest of the wine in the freezer (in separate portions) so that I can make this again. As many of you know I can’t drink wine (due to the sulphites which I think I’ve become allergic to over the years) but at least there a none in Champagne so I can still enjoy a glass of bubbly on occasion!
More Vegetarian Pasta Dishes
- Tenderstem Broccoli, Chilli and Garlic Spaghetti
- 10 Minute Mushroom Pasta
- Cauliflower and Broccoli Mac ‘n’ Cheese
- Pasta with Mediterranean Meatless Balls
- Vegan Shepherdess Pie with Cauliflower Mash
NB: Commissioned post, Sainsbury’s provided me with a selection of So Organic products plus a shopping voucher.
Mushroom & Walnut Penne - Organic & Vegetarian
- 1 Red onion* large, finely sliced
- 2 Garlic cloves* crushed
- 200 g White mushrooms*
- 80 g Walnut halves*
- 250 mls White Wine I used Soave*
- 250 ml Organic vegetable or chicken stock made from 1 stock cube
- 150 ml Low fat plain yogurt*
- 350 g Penne*
- Freshly ground salt and pepper
- Parmigiano Reggiano* grated or vegetarian hard cheese to serve
- A few extra walnut pieces to garnish optional
- *All from the Sainsbury So Organic range
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a large non-stick pan on a medium heat and soften the onion and garlic for about 10 minutes under a lid, stirring occasionally.
- Add another tbsp of oil and add the walnuts and mushrooms and fry until cooked, stirring regularly.
- Add the stock, wine and seasoning, bring to the boil and then simmer for 12 minutes to make a reduction.
- Cook the penne according to instructions.
- Add the yogurt to the reduction over a very low heat and stir through, adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Drain the pasta and pour over the mushroom and walnut sauce.
- Place in a large serving bowl and serve with grated Parmigiano Reggiano or vegetarian equivalent and garnish with walnut pieces.