Broccoli & Cheddar Soup is a nutritious and delicious vegetarian soup the whole family will love and easily adapted to be vegan (see recipe). As well as broccoli and Cheddar cheese, ingredients also include celery, carrot, onion and potato so it’s great for a fridge clear out!
My family raved about my creamy Broccoli & Cheddar Soup so much I had to make it again the following week!
How did my Broccoli & Cheddar Soup come about?
During these crazy times we’re all living through I’ve relied more on internet shopping and occasionally things go wrong!
On my last supermarket shop I managed to order 2 heads of broccoli so my mind immediately went to Broccoli & Cheddar Soup.
Don’t ask me why! I’d never had broccoli soup before but I had made Broccoli & Cheddar Souffle (from Delia Smith) in the past so knew this was a winning flavour combination!
I decided to start of by making a mirepoix which was how most soups began their life when I worked in catering.
What is a Mirepoix?
A mirepoix is a French term for mix of finely chopped vegetables (usually onion, celery and carrot) which are cooked slowly in butter and or oil without browning.
It’s a flavour base which is also great for stews, stock and pasta sauces.
How do you make Broccoli & Cheddar Soup?
- Start by gathering your ingredients: broccoli, potato, celery, onion, carrot, vegetable stock cubes, extra mature cheddar cheese, milk, rapeseed oil and butter.
- Chop the vegetables (see recipe for further details), grate the Cheddar and make up the stock.
- Sweat the mirepoix (onion, celery and carrot) in the butter and oil under a lid for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the broccoli florets, chopped stalk and diced potato. (On the day I photographed this recipe my broccoli stalk was diseased so hence you can’t see mine)!
- Add the vegetable stock and seasoning.
- Bring to the boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add milk.
- Blend the soup using a stick blender preferably.
- Stir in the grated Cheddar until melted.
- Gently re-heat to serving temperature and garnish with ground chilli and garlic flakes if wished.
What goes well with Broccoli & Cheddar Soup?
You can have this soup with toast, crusty rolls, garlic bread etc for a light meal or serve as part of a more substantial meal. I would pair with cold meats, pork pie, quiche, salad etc.
We even had it with pizza the other night, there are no rules!
Can you re-heat leftover Broccoli & Cheddar Soup?
Yes, this soup re-heats beautifully. You can keep it in the fridge for up to 3 days. I store in a glass bowl and cover with a plate (green option) as I find plastic and stainless steel can taint flavour.
Can you freeze Broccoli & Cheddar Soup?
Yes, you can freeze this soup for up to 3 months. Just thaw overnight in the fridge before re-heating. A reusable ziplock bag popped into a jug until the soup is frozen is a great freezer hack!
More Vegetable Soup Recipes
Soups are a great way to use up the vegetables in your salad drawer so here are some more recipes to try once you’ve made my easy broccoli soup!
- Curried Root Vegetable Soup
- Cream of Asparagus & Celery Soup
- Kale Soup
- Easy Roasted Celeriac Soup
- Leek & Courgette Soup
- Peanut Lentil Soup
- Pastina Soup (for when the cupboard is bare)
I’m sure you’ll be hooked when you try this easy broccoli cheese soup. My family haven’t stopped singing its praises. I should probably rename it Best Broccoli & Cheddar Soup now!
Do leave a comment and rating below when you try it as I love getting your feedback. Plus, if you take a snap and share it on any social media tagging @fabfood4all I’ll try to share it for all to see!
Pin for later!
Broccoli & Cheddar Soup
- Digital scales
- Chopping Board
- cook's knife
- large pan
- Wooden spoon
- stick blender
- 2 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 20 g butter or vegan spread
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 1 large carrot finely chopped
- 3 celery stalks finely sliced
- 1 broccoli head about 375g, split into florets & stem chopped
- 1 large potato diced
- 900 ml vegetable stock
- 250 ml milk or oat drink
- 120 g extra mature Cheddar cheese or vegan Cheddar
- salt flakes
- ground black pepper
- Ground chilli & garlic
- Melt the oil and butter in a large pan over a medium to low heat.
- Add the onion, carrot and celery (mirepoix) and sweat under a lid until softened (about 10 minutes), stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the broccoli and potato.
- Add the stock, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil then lower heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add 250 ml milk.
- Use a stick blender to blend the soup.
- Stir in the grated cheese until melted.
- Gently re-heat and serve with optional grinding of chilli & garlic flakes.