Turkey & Chorizo Meatballs are super tasty and a great midweek meal!
Turkey meat can be a little bland if I’m honest so when my mother recently gave me a pack of reduced turkey breast mince (we love a bargain in my family), I thought I’d try something new with it.
I’ve recently got into Chorizo in a big way. I thought I wasn’t that keen on it but then realised I’d been put off by the cheaper pre-chopped chilled stuff and have now discovered the little sausages which aren’t in the chiller cabinet.
The difference in flavour is immense and they come in varying degrees of heat too!
This recipe divided opinion in our house.
My usually conservative daughter who isn’t that keen on spicy food loved my Turkey & Chorizo Meatballs as did I but the boys said they had too much flavour but loved the tomato sauce.
I normally go with the majority vote before any recipe gets posted on here and it’s usually my daughter who is the negative one due to her 10 year old personal preferences (of which she has many) so I am bending my rule today.
For a dish to please my picky daughter I do sit up and take note! She loves Ratatouille and my husband does not so I think sometimes it’s not the dish that is at fault but we just have our own taste.
Do you have a dish that divides opinion in your family? Do let me know in the comments below!
My turkey mince was reduced from £5.49 to 99p so I am entering it into Credit Crunch Munch which I am hosting this month and run with my partner in crime Helen of Fuss Free Flavours.
Turkey & Chorizo Meatballs
- 300 – 375g Spaghetti
- For meatballs:
- 500 g Turkey Mince
- 50 g Chorizo finely chopped
- 50 g Grated cheddar
- 40 g Fresh white breadcrumbs
- 3 tbsp Freshly chopped parsley
- 1 Red chilli deseeded & finely chopped
- 3 Garlic cloves crushed
- 1 Egg lightly beaten
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 tbsp Light olive oil
- 1 knob of butter
- For tomato sauce:
- 680 g Jar of passata
- 1 Onion grated or blitzed in herb chopper
- 2 Garlic cloves crushed
- 3 Celery sticks finely diced
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 tsp Granulated sugar
- 1 tblsp Lemon juice
- 1 tsp Dried basil
- Freshly ground salt & pepper
- For garnish:
- Freshly chopped parsley
- Grated parmesan cheese
- Mix the meatball ingredients together (bar the oil and butter) thoroughly with your hands and shape into balls (I made 24).
- Chill for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oil and butter in a pan and fry the meatballs to seal all over.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- In the same pan heat up the remaining oil and gently fry the onion, garlic and celery for 8 minutes without colouring.
- Add passata, sugar, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Cook the spaghetti according to instructions.
- Return meatballs to the pan and simmer for 10 minutes until cooked.
- Serve on a bed of spaghetti with a sprinkling of parsley and grated parmesan cheese.